Grilled desserts are all about keeping it simple. When summer berries and stone fruits are in their prime, they need little dressing up. A trip on the firey hot grates of the grill leaves stone fruits juicy and impossibly sweet. A simple finish–perhaps a sprinkling of brown sugar or a scoop of ice cream–is all that’s needed for a sweet finish to your summer nights.
I find the simple things are often the most satisfying. The fewer ingredients, the more I get to enjoy the pure goodness of each one.
Such is the case with this 4 ingredient dessert. Plums, in all their sweet-tart, sunshine-pink glory, take on a caramely richness on the grill. A dollop of mascarpone and a drizzle of honey are just “icing on the plum.”
There’s a sultry feel to this dessert. It’s the kind of thing you want to eat while you’re lounging on the deck on a warm summer night, bare feet tucked underneath you, sunset draped across your skin. It’s tantalizing, really. After making and photographing this dish, I fully expected to take a bite then put the rest away to save for later.
Instead, I ate both halves. Standing over the sink. Plum juice dripping down my chin.
This stuff just has a way about it.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 1 plum, halved and pitted
- 3 Tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Oil, for coating grates
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Brush grill grates with oil then place plums flesh side down directly on the grates. Cover and grill for 10-15 minutes or until plums are softened and have deepened in color. Remove from grill and place plums in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mascarpone and milk until smooth and creamy.
- Divide mascarpone evenly between each plum half. Drizzle each half with about 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Neighborfood