Posted by Courtneyhttp://neighborfoodblog.com/2013/06/angel-food-french-toast-with-blueberry-lemon-sauce-for-sundaysupper.html
© 2013 Neighborfood. All rights reserved.
Angel Food French Toast with Blueberry Lemon Sauce for #SundaySupper
store bought angel food cake
cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon
For the angel food:
- In a shallow medium sized bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Slice the angel food cake into 10-12 slices, depending on your preferred thickness.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place a dollop of vegetable oil in the pan and wait until it shimmers and is very liquidy. That's how you know it's good and hot!
- Dip the slices of angel food cake in the egg mixture, being sure to generously coat both sides. Place the slices directly in the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining slices.
- For the sauce:
- Place blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and cornstarch in a sauce pan and stir together. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened and blueberries have begun to break down. I prefer to leave my blueberries whole, but you can feel free to smash them at this point.
- Serve cooked angel food slices with several spoonfuls of blueberry sauce and a swirl of whipped cream, if desired.