Smoky chipotle shrimp sandwiched between layers of cool avocado mayo and sweet and spicy jalapeno peach salsa make the ultimate summer sandwich.
When I was a kid, shrimp came in two forms: covered in butter and garlic or fried to a crispy crunch and plunged into cocktail sauce. It wasn’t until adulthood I discovered shrimp had a life outside of scampi. I saw shrimp trouncing all over the place–in tacos, on top of salads, and tucked under ribbons of linguine.
I figure if shrimp can sneak it’s way into all of those things, why not in between two layers of fluffy french bread?
That’s right. Shrimp just got sandwiched.
Guys, this recipe is da bomb. I hardly ever say that, which should be an indication of how excited I am about this dish. I’m so excited, I’m not even speaking properly.
Think of this sandwich as your hot, sexy beach vacation all smashed up between two slices of bread. Too weird? Then just think of this as a darn good sandwich. Because that’s what it is.
Here’s the breakdown: spicy chipotle shrimp meets cool avocado mayo meets zesty jalapeno peach salsa. It’s sweet. It’s smoky. It’s got a kick that’ll keep you coming back for more.
There are very few recipes I make that instantly achieve stardom, but this was one of them. The Mr. immediately placed it in his Top 5, right next to the Tiramisu Brownie Parfaits and Crazy Cake. We’re already considering retiring this recipe’s jersey and entering it into the hall of fame.
So give ’em a try. Your mouth will thank you.
- 3 peaches, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, mostly seeded and diced
- ½ a large red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Pinch salt
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sauce from chipotles in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Juice of half a lime
- Pinch salt
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sauce from chipotles in adobo
- 1 french baguette, halved and split
- For the salsa: Combine all the chopped ingredients in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. The longer it sits the better the flavor!
- For the shrimp: Place the shrimp in a shallow dish and stir together with chipotles, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp to skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until pink clear through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the avocado mayo: in a small bowl, mash the avocado. Stir in mayo and chipotle.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the avocado mayo on top of the split bun. Layer it with lettuce, shrimp, and the peach salsa. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe by Neighborfood