All of the best summer produce is thrown together in this bold and bright Roasted Corn and Zucchini Salsa.
I consider July and August the golden time for food. Nearly everything is in season, with berries still boasting their plump, juicy figures and tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, corn, and peaches coming on strong. I get almost giddy when I go to the grocery store and see how gorgeous and cheap a pound of fresh plums is. And there’s nothing better than walking a few steps to my back porch to snip a few fresh herbs for that night’s dinner. It’s hard not to be inspired this time of year, with so much color and flavor right at your fingertips.
When summer produce hits its peak, my cooking becomes much simpler. Lunches are humble open face sandwiches layered with hunky slices of tomato and fresh lettuce. Dinners are nothing more than pasta and olive oil loaded with whatever vegetables happened to grab my eye at the grocery store that week.
And snacks like salsa? Well, suddenly they seem worthy of a meal.
This Chunky Roasted Corn and Zucchini Salsa is really just a hodge podge of summer produce thrown together on a baking sheet, roasted in the oven, and then tossed with fresh lemon juice and basil. The summer squash plays so well off the mellowed heat of roasted jalapenos and poblano peppers, and corn adds that hint of sweetness that keeps you coming back for bite after bite. I ate this both warm and cold, as a salad, a snack, and even lunch. Loaded on chips, this simple salsa easily becomes a light, vibrant meal that’s perfect for these muggy summer days.
- 3 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 small yellow squash, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 fat pinches Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup packed roughly chopped basil + more for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss together all the vegetables with the olive oil and Kosher salt. Sprinkle evenly with fresh ground pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until browned edges begin to appear. Remove from the oven.
- In a bowl, toss the roasted vegetables with the lemon juice and fresh basil. Serve warm with Mediterranean Sea Salt Pasta Chips or refrigerate and serve cold.
Note: This recipe was originally developed for Pasta Chips.
Looking for more great summer side dishes? Try these!
Spicy Asian Zucchini