These Cajun Burgers are slathered in a killer sweet and smoky Cajun sauce. Make them this Labor Day for a welcome twist on a classic.
Today, I’m doing a little throwback to one of our favorite summer meals. These Cajun Burgers were made waaaay back in the early days of our marriage and this blog, when we were still figuring out whose responsibility it was to take out the trash and I was attempting to take stunning food photos with my old point and shoot from college.
These burgers were made on our cheap, tiny charcoal grill and served on the cheap, tiny 4 person Ikea table that doubled as our counter space, junk mail dumping area, and desk. Did I mention things were cheap and tiny back then?
Perhaps I’m feeling a bit nostalgic for those days as I look back on six years of marriage and hold our little man in my arms. Hormone driven or not, these poor burgers suffered from some seriously bad photos, and I decided it was time they finally receive their proper due.
There’s nothing particularly fancy about these, but boy are they good. The patties themselves have a little extra sumpin’ sumpin’ in the form of Parmesan cheese, an egg yolk, breadcrumbs, and lots of Cajun seasoning. But I think what really does it for me is the Cajun sauce. A simple mixture of mayo, ketchup, Cajun seasoning, and maple, it’s sweet and savory with just the right amount of kick. I slathered it on the burgers then dipped my potato wedges into it as well.
So whether you’re working with an old, wonky charcoal grill, a fancy pants gas grill, or your trusty cast iron skillet, these burgers deliver. Invite a few friends over to your tiny apartment and make some memories. The years fly by quickly, and a great burger is not something to waste.
For the burgers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fine sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun or blackening seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (omit if your Cajun seasoning includes salt)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 buns, buttered on the inside
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip (we used Miracle Whip)
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. molasses or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- In a medium bowl mix together ground beef, egg yolk, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and seasoning.
- Divide into three equal portions and gently shape into patties. Place a small indent in the center of the burgers with your thumb.
- Preheat a grill or cast iron skillet to medium heat. Place burgers on the grill or in a bit of oil in the cast iron skillet. Cook until browned, about 4-6 minutes, then flip. Cook the other side until browned and meat is cooked through, another 4-6 minutes, depending on how well done you like your burgers. Top the burgers with cheese when there's about 2 minutes left of cook time.
- Place buns on the grill, buttered side down and grill for about a minute.
- Meanwhile, mix mayo, ketchup, molasses, and Cajun seasoning in small bowl.
- Top buns with cheese, lettuce, red onion, sauce, and burgers. Stuff your face!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 945kcal Calories from fat 577|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 64g||98%|
|Saturated Fat 24g||120%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|