This Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bread has a buttery crisp topping and tangy lemon glaze. It belongs on all of your spring breakfast, brunch, and shower menus!
Happy week-after-Easter, friends! I’m breaking out the berries and the lemon desserts, because it is spring time FOR REAL now. I ended up sick over Easter weekend, which was a major bummer. Instead of dressing up and heading to church, I spent the day perched on the couch, watching Fuller House and gazing longingly at the flood of happy family photos filling up my Facebook feed. Still, I was reminded this year that no matter my circumstances, whether sickness or health, bitter seasons or sweet, Jesus is Risen, and that is reason enough to celebrate.
I was hoping I might be able to squeeze this recipe for Blueberry Lemon Crumb Bread in before Easter, but alas, it was not meant to be. Luckily, this bread needs no special occasion. In fact, you should probably whip some up on a Wednesday just for fun. I’ll admit, I went a little overboard on this. Originally, I wanted to make a beautiful lemon bread. Then, of course, I thought I should add poppyseeds, because obviously. But you know what else pairs well with lemon? Blueberries. So I threw a handful of those in. Then, I covered it all in a buttery crumb topping (because crunch!) and a sweet lemon glaze (because, why not?!).
Let me tell you, if Lemon Bread is good and Lemon Poppyseed Bread is great, then this Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Crumb Bread is awesome. The crumb topping and glaze definitely sealed the deal for me. I have dreams of starting my day in the quiet, with just this bread, a cup of coffee, and a good book, but since that probably won’t happen for a good long while, I settle instead for this bread and a cute baby in the high chair next to me. Enjoy, friends!
Blueberry Lemon Crumb Bread
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (from about 1 large lemon)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon's worth)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour,
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the crumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, lemon zest, and juice until thoroughly combined. In another bowl or large measuring cup, beat together the buttermilk and eggs. In a third bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, and 2½ cups flour. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture and scraping the bowl as needed.
- Toss the blueberries with the 2 Tablespoons of flour then gently fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the crumbs, combine the flour, sugar, and melted butter in a measuring cup until fine crumbs form. Spread the crumbs on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for at least 10 minutes. To release, run a knife around the edge of the bread pan and turn it over onto a piece of parchment paper. A few of the crumbs may fall off. Don't worry about it! Just scoop them up and put them back on top.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze--in a measuring cup, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk until the consistency is smooth and pourable (add more milk if needed). Pour the glaze over the cake and serve or allow to dry then cover with saran wrap and store for up to 3 days.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 493kcal Calories from fat 172|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|