Plums, in all their sweet-tart, sunshine-pink glory, take on a caramely richness on the grill. A dollop of mascarpone and a drizzle of honey are just “icing on the plum.”
Grilled desserts are all about keeping it simple. When summer berries and stone fruits are in their prime, they need little dressing up. A trip on the firey hot grates of the grill leaves stone fruits juicy and impossibly sweet. A simple finish–perhaps a sprinkling of brown sugar or a scoop of ice cream–is all that’s needed for a sweet finish to your summer nights.
I find the simple things are often the most satisfying. The fewer ingredients, the more I get to enjoy the pure goodness of each one.
Such is the case with this 4 ingredient dessert. Plums, in all their sweet-tart, sunshine-pink glory, take on a caramely richness on the grill. A dollop of mascarpone and a drizzle of honey are just “icing on the plum.”
There’s a sultry feel to this dessert. It’s the kind of thing you want to eat while you’re lounging on the deck on a warm summer night, bare feet tucked underneath you, sunset draped across your skin. It’s tantalizing, really. After making and photographing this dish, I fully expected to take a bite then put the rest away to save for later.
Instead, I ate both halves. Standing over the sink. Plum juice dripping down my chin.
This stuff just has a way about it.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Grilled Plums with Mascarpone and Honey
- 1 plum, halved and pitted
- 3 Tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Oil, for coating grates
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Brush grill grates with oil then place plums flesh side down directly on the grates. Cover and grill for 10-15 minutes or until plums are softened and have deepened in color. Remove from grill and place plums in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mascarpone and milk until smooth and creamy.
- Divide mascarpone evenly between each plum half. Drizzle each half with about 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Neighborfood