You don’t need a bonfire and a warm summer night to make these Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Indoor S’more Bars.
Where is it going?
Every day that goes by I feel a little more panicky. There’s just so much to be done! I haven’t caught fireflies yet. I haven’t had nearly enough back deck BBQs. I haven’t eaten corn for dinner, and I didn’t even have a chance to make my favorite strawberry shortcake while it was peak strawberry season (#majorsummerfail). And what about going to outdoor concerts, and bike rides, and water parks, and bonfires, and s’mores….ohhhhhh s’mores!
This summer hasn’t seen nearly enough s’more action.
The other day I was whining to The Mr. about ALL THE THINGS, emphasizing the giant deficit of s’mores I’m building up as each summer day goes by.
He was unamused, but thankfully he did offer up a helpful piece of advice.
Ummm, you know you can make those indoor s’more bars right?, he said nonchalantly, without even looking up from his iPad.
Indoor s’more bars?!?! I screeched like I had just found out The Golden Girls were reuniting for a new comedy series.
Yeah, you know, with the golden grahams and the chocolate and the marshmallow??
No, I do not know these things, darling, and I can’t believe you would ever keep something as magical as indoor s’mores from me! I mean we’re married, after all. There can be no s’more secrets!
But then…it clicked.
A distant memory of a slumber party or elementary school birthday celebration. A flash of something gooey. Chocolate melting in my hands. The crunch of golden grahams stuck together with bits of marshmallow.
How had I forgotten indoor s’mores–perhaps the most genius creation of all time?
I didn’t have time to question my faulty memory. I only knew I MUST HAVE THESE.
I dug up the recipe, and, because I’m me, I decided to glam it up a little bit and adapt it for my adult palate.
First, dark chocolate in place of milk. Second, nuts. Hazelnuts to be exact. Third, coconut. Because I just can’t stop myself. I am powerless against the smell of toasted coconut.
These were just as good as I nearly forgot…but then remembered again.
So if you’re feeling angsty about July’s nearing end, comfort yourself with the fact that these bars exist. No bonfire and no warm summer night needed.
That, and football. Maybe this speedy summer isn’t so bad after all.
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Indoor S'more Bars
- 8 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 5 cups marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips or 9 oz. of a dark chocolate bar
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Grease or spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a small frying pan, toast coconut over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine marshmallows, chocolate, corn syrup, and butter. Microwave until melted (2-3 minutes), pausing to stir every 45 seconds. Stir in golden grahams, hazelnuts, remaining mini marshmallows, and most of the coconut, reserving about a ¼ cup to sprinkle on top.
- Press mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining coconut. Let stand uncovered for 1 hour. Bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days at room temperature. If it's humid or warm in your house, I recommend storing them in the fridge.
Recipe by Neighborfood