This Warm Asparagus and Tomato Salad is dressed simply with a yolky fried egg and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. A satisfying and quick meal that’s both vegetarian and gluten free.
Well, we’re back on Ohio soil, and I have to say, it feels good. We had a fantastic time in Cape Cod soaking up the water and eating our fair share of the Atlantic’s seafood population. But it’s also nice to return home to our own beds, our adorable pup, and a garden that happened to survive complete and utter neglect for a week.
Plus, I missed you guys! I’m sure you all had a blast hanging out with Emily and Melanie last week. Aren’t they great?? But all told, I missed inhabiting this little space with you all. Have I mentioned before how thankful I am for you? Because I am. I really, truly am.
Gosh, where did all this schmaltz come from? Must be something in that salty ocean air that’s turned me into a softy! At any rate, I’m happy to be back in my own kitchen, making my own food. As much as I love indulging on vacation, it’s also nice to return home to simpler fare. It seems odd, but after a week of filets and lobster, I actually found myself craving greens and a fried egg. Nothing fancy, just summery, healthy, homey foods.
This Warm Asparagus and Tomato Salad was my coming home salad. It’s light and fresh, packed with vegetables, and smothered in a yolky egg. It’s rich and flavorful without being complicated, a good reminder that some of the best foods are the simplest ones.
This salad needs no dressing. The golden yolk paired with the tang of the roasted tomatoes is all that’s needed to coat the greens and asparagus. I suppose you could consider the sprinkling of Parmesan on top an optional addition, but in my mind, the salad wouldn’t be complete without it. It adds just the right amount of nuttiness.
I wanted to use cherry tomatoes for this, but only had regular tomatoes on hand. They were great roasted, but you could definitely sub cherry or grape tomatoes and just warm them in the skillet with the asparagus if you want to skip the roasting altogether.
I’ve got lots of purty vacation pics to share with you, plus a new FABULOUS brownie recipe coming at ya later this week, so stay tuned!
Warm Asparagus and Tomato Salad
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 12 asparagus spears
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus spears and cook until bright green and crisp, yet tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute. Remove the asparagus from the skillet.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt. Crack the two eggs into the skillet and let them cook until the whites are nearly set. If desired, flip the egg for 30 seconds to 1 minute to finish cooking the whites.
- Meanwhile, place a cup of greens on two separate plates and split the asparagus spears evenly between them. Top with the roasted tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Top each plate with the fried egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 385kcal Calories from fat 307|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 34g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|