These Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut make for a perfect light dessert or palate cleanser between courses. They’re easy to make, so you can whip them up for a quick afternoon snack or brunch accompaniment as well.

Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut

Today I’m going to keep things simple.

I’m going to rub sugar into bright, juicy oranges, broil them up, and top them with coconut. And I’m going to call it dessert.

Because today isn’t about who makes the best ham or who finds the most eggs or who has the prettiest colored egg.

Today is about Jesus. It’s about resurrection. New life. Hope. Victory over the grave.

Could there be anything better?

Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut

Today, instead of fretting over lunch or the cleanliness of my house or the state of my flower beds, I’m going to be fully present. I’m going to sing a little too loudly in that pew at the side of the church. I’m going to fill my table with mismatched glasses and paper plates (yes PAPER plates…the horror!). I’m going to share a simple meal with my family. I’m going to say grace, and I’m going to have a lot to thank God for.

These oranges are a lovely way of celebrating this Resurrection Sunday. Every bite is like a burst of spring. Sweet, juicy, refreshing.

Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut

They make for a perfect light dessert or palate cleanser between courses. They’re so easy to make (3 ingredients people! 3 ingredients!), you can whip them up for a quick afternoon snack or brunch accompaniment as well. The smell alone is excuse enough to make them. It’s like the tropics blew through your front door and made themselves at home.

The easiest way to eat these is with a grapefruit fork, but you know what the most fun way is? Cut each half inΒ  quarters and just take a big bite. Let the juice run down your chin. Lick your lips. Go back for more. Enjoy every messy, drippy, sticky bite.

Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut

Have a blessed Easter everyone!

Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut
  • 1 orange, sliced in half
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • Handful sweetened, shredded coconut
  1. Set your broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. Remove any seeds that are on the surface of the orange. If desired, run a knife between the flesh and peel and then cut slices, following the natural orange segments. (This makes for easier removal if you don't have a grapefruit spoon). You'll want to keep the peel intact so be careful not to cut through it.
  3. Rub a teaspoon of brown sugar on each half of the orange. Place on the baking sheet and put under the broiler (I used my lower shelf so it was a good distance away. If you go closer, I would put the broiler on low).
  4. Broil until bubbly and charred in a few places, about 6 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, place the coconut in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Allow the coconut to get golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
  6. Serve oranges warm with the toasted coconut. If desired top with cinnamon or ginger.

strong>Better with Citrus Breakfasts:

Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:

Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:

Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:

Sour Sips & Drinks:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

• Renee Goerger March 31, 2013, 8:36 AM

What a marvelous idea! Happy #SundaySupper to you and of course Happy Easter too!
    Your oranges look delicious!

• Juanita's Cocina March 31, 2013, 8:43 AM

What a gorgeous and simple dessert! Thank you for participating today!

• supperforasteal March 31, 2013, 9:02 AM

Loved this post! Today is an awesome day. Your oranges are perfect for an afternoon snack or dessert.

• Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 31, 2013, 10:26 AM

That plate is a burst of sunshine, and delicious too! Happy Easter!

• Sherron Nagle Watson March 31, 2013, 10:53 AM

What a bright and cheery dish. I have broiled grapefruit but never oranges. You have inspired me to do this. I love that you are staying present today and using paper plates–we are too! Happy Easter PS, I can hear you singing from MD πŸ™‚

• Renee Dobbs March 31, 2013, 12:20 PM

Lovely and simple treat. Enjoy your Easter very much!

• Lorie March 31, 2013, 12:30 PM

What a Beautiful Recipe!

• Amanda M March 31, 2013, 12:39 PM

What a very simple and tasty dessert.

• littleredkitchen March 31, 2013, 2:08 PM

I’ve seen broiled grapefruit but never done with oranges. Lovely!

• Chef Di March 31, 2013, 2:23 PM

Lovely post… thanks again for reminding of the reason for today. Happy Easter!!! πŸ˜‰

• Constance March 31, 2013, 3:05 PM

Yum! Anything with toasted coconut is automatically going to be amazing! πŸ™‚

• Sarah R March 31, 2013, 5:34 PM

Reminds me of my mom’s breakfasts! She never used coconut though, I’m going to pass that onto her!

• Katie March 31, 2013, 6:36 PM

I have never broiled an orange before, but you had better believe I’m going to try it now! Love the sprinkle of toasted coconut…how divine…

• Kim Beaulieu March 31, 2013, 6:40 PM

What a lovely recipe. I love coconut too so this is perfect.

• Webicurean March 31, 2013, 7:37 PM

Sometimes the simple desserts are the best–these would be really refreshing after a big meal!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 1, 2013, 10:05 AM

Exactly! It’s just the right amount of sweet to satisfy a dessert craving without weighing you down (or forcing you to change into elastic waist pants).

• Family Foodie March 31, 2013, 11:03 PM

You are so right. Today is about Jesus. Love this simple recipe and love that you shared it on Easter during #SundaySupper

• Nancy April 1, 2013, 2:40 PM

Courtney, I adore this post – you’re absolutely right about the meaning of Easter. I love that you focused on what’s important instead of the mundane, first world issues that drive us crazy most of the time (dirty house? Yup, I’m guilty of agonizing over that all the time!). I love how simple yet insanely flavourful this dessert is. I’d definitely eat it as suggested – big bites, juice down the chin and a big smile on my face! Happy Easter, lady.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 2, 2013, 11:15 AM

That first world problems catch phrase has really helped me be more aware of all the things I worry and complain about! It’s a good reminder of how blessed I am (and how unimportant it really is if there are a few hairballs under the couch.) Hope you had a great and meaningful Easter Nancy!

• Laura Hunter April 2, 2013, 5:38 AM

Oh wow what a simple idea, love it.

• Sunithi Selvaraj, RD April 5, 2013, 3:58 PM

Have broiled oranges before but never put coconut. What a great idea. trying this next !

Β© 2015 NeighborFood | Privacy Policy | Designed by Snazzle Media | Development by A LA MODE designs