Make this the 12,000th reason I’m glad I married the Mr. If it weren’t for him, I may never have known the glories of Strawberry Paczki. Apparently these donuts were quite popular where he grew up in Michigan, and when we first got married he spent many hours raving about them.

Strawberry Paczki from

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Before I tell you about these powdered sugar dusted pillows of fried dough, let’s get one thing out of the way. It’s pronounced PONCH-key, which is what your belly will have after eating one of these.

Paczki are actually Polish donuts typically made on Fat Tuesday as a way of getting rid of all the goodies one would normally forego for Lent (sugar, butter, eggs…basically everything I love). If you’re wondering whether paczki are healthy for you, that should give you an idea of the answer.

Strawberry Paczki

There’s nothing quite like Paczki. It starts with a fluffy yeasted donut batter that gets perfectly golden and just a tad crispy on the outside. But what makes Paczki really special is the filling. Chocolate, custards, and fruit fillings all give a surprise burst of flavor to these donuts, but our favorite by far is classic strawberry jam.

Last year, we spent the weeks leading up to Fat Tuesday scouring the web for local bakeries that make Paczki. At the last minute, I managed to find one, and I made the drive in after-work traffic to snag a few for the Mr. This year, I figured I’d skip the crowds and try making them myself.

While not difficult per se, this recipe is labor intensive and requires several steps, so I decided to break it down for you with pictures. This step-by-step photo thing is a new thing I’m trying. Let me know if you like it.

One note before we get started. The original recipe for this used grams to measure the flour. I have a kitchen scale so I was able to measure it out in grams, but I also measured out cups and included those measurements as well. One important note: when you’re measuring your flour, spoon it into your measuring cup with a scoop or Tablespoon until overflowing, then level with a knife or bamboo stick (I hoard these from Chinese restaurants. So handy!) Don’t dunk your measuring cup in the flour then level. You’ll end up with a lot more flour packed in that way and your measurements will be off. Make sense?

How To Make Paczki |

Okay, let’s do this!

The dough starts with a yeast starter. First, you’ll whisk together yeast, lukewarm milk, sugar, and a little flour. It will resemble pancake batter. You let that mixture sit for an hour until it nearly doubles in size. As you can see, mine started at around 2 cups and ended around 4. The batter will be sorta frothy/foamy, like the top of your cappuccino.

How To Make Paczki |

Once the starter is frothy, add the eggs and sugar to your stand mixer and beat them with the whisk attachment until frothy.

How To Make Paczki

Add in the starter and 3 Tablespoons of flour and beat until well combined. Switch to the paddle attachment. Add the rest of the flour mixture in about 1/2 cup increments, beating well after each addition. The dough is ready when it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky, but shouldn’t stick to your finger when touched. You may need to beat in a few more Tablespoons of flour if it’s still sticky.

How To Make Paczki from Neighborfood

Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour. It will nearly double in size.

Lightly flour a baking sheet. Grab about a 1/4 cup portion of dough and roll it into a ball in your hands. Repeat with remaining dough. You can see my dough wasn’t entirely uniform and it didn’t look particularly smooth. That’s okay, it’ll smooth out as it rests. Allow the dough balls to rest for 30 minutes while you heat the frying oil in a deep sauce pan to 375 degrees.

How To Make Paczki from

After letting the individual donuts rest, drop them in the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. I usually cut open the first one just to make sure they’re getting cooked clear through. If they’re not, fry for longer. If they’re burning on the outside and underbaked on the inside, you can turn down the heat and let the oil cool slightly.

How To Make Paczki from

Remove the donuts to a paper towel lined plate. When they’re cool enough to touch, use a knife to poke a small hole from one side to the other. I like to twist it around slightly to make sure there is enough space for the filling. Fill a piping bag with strawberry jam, insert the tip into the donut and squeeze until the jam starts to pool at the top. Repeat with remaining donuts.

How To Make Paczki |

Here’s where it gets really good.

Roll the donuts in granulated sugar.

How to Make Paczki

….Then cover them with a generous (and by generous I mean irresponsibly thick) layer of powdered sugar.

Eat. Repeat. It is Fat Tuesday, after all.

Strawberry Paczki |

Do you have any Fat Tuesday traditions? Are you wanting to pick some up? Our #SundaySupper team has over 50 ideas for getting the most out of this holiday. Be sure to check them out below the recipe!

Strawberry Paczki #SundaySupper
  • 1 teaspoon real lemon juice
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Vegetable Oil for frying
  • 1 cup strawberry jam or other filling of your choice
  • Granulated sugar
  • Powdered sugar
  1. To make the starter, whisk together the yeast, flour, sugar, and milk in a large measuring cup. The mixture should resemble pancake batter. Set the mixture aside for 1 hour until it's frothy and doubled in size.
  2. For the donuts:
  3. Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until frothy. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and whisk. Switch to the paddle attachment. Add the starter and 3 Tablespoons of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the rest of the flour in about ½ cup increments, beating well after each addition. The dough is ready when it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and is tacky, but doesn't stick to your fingers. Add the butter at the very end and beat until just combined.
  4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  5. Dust a baking sheet with flour. Grab about a ¼ cup portion of dough and roll it into a ball in your hands. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover the dough balls and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
  6. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 375 degrees. Drop the dough into the hot oil 3-4 at a time and fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. Use tongs to remove the donuts and place them on a paper towel lined plate. I usually cut it into the first one to make sure it's cooked all the way through. If it's not, increase the time in the oil. If it's browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
  7. When the donuts are cool enough to touch, use a knife to poke a small hole from one side to the other. I like to twist it around slightly to make sure there is enough space for the filling. Fill a piping bag with strawberry jam, insert the tip into the donut and squeeze until the jam starts to pool at the top. Repeat with remaining donuts.
  8. Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar and roll the donuts in the sugar. Sift powdered sugar over top of the donuts. Serve warm or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Recipe adapted from Beyond the Plate

It’s a Fat Sunday Party!

Cocktails & Other Beverages:

Main Dishes:

Side Dishes:

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement

• manusmenu March 2, 2014, 7:37 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh these look good!!! I love them and I will definitely try them!

• Marjory @ Dinner-Mom March 2, 2014, 8:23 AM

Love your step by step photos. These look so delicious!

• Betsy @ Desserts Required March 2, 2014, 10:25 AM

These look amazing and I LOVE your step by step pictures. They will be a tremendous help when I make my own batch!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 3, 2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback! It’s encouraging. It took a lot more time to take and edit all the pictures, but if it’s helpful I’m glad to do it!

• Jennifer Drummond March 2, 2014, 12:31 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had one of these at the Farmers Market in San Francisco and I will never for get it!! Thank you for the step by step directions! I need to get the fryer out to make these

• Liz March 2, 2014, 1:02 PM

WOW! Your filled paczki would be a fabulous way to start my Fat Tuesday…or any day!!! Perfectly made!!!

• Heather S-G March 2, 2014, 1:10 PM

I look forward to Paczki every single year…and yours look absolutely perfect, just gorgeous!

• Tara March 2, 2014, 1:34 PM

I have never made anything like this, wow do they look fantastic!!

• Shaina Wizov March 2, 2014, 2:18 PM

I’ve never heard of these before, but they sure do sound tasty!

• Family Foodie March 2, 2014, 2:21 PM

This looks great. I love your step by step pics.

• Laura Dembowski March 2, 2014, 4:36 PM

I love paczki but have been having trouble finding good ones, even here in Michigan, so I can’t wait to try these!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 3, 2014, 12:51 PM

It does seem like they’re kind of limited to certain areas. Our local Kroger is carrying them this year, but I doubt they’re very authentic. Still delicious though!

• Shannon @ Killer Bunnies, Inc March 2, 2014, 4:51 PM

Oh man, these look fantastic. They look so perfect too!

• cupcakekalechip March 2, 2014, 5:04 PM

This Polish girl really has to get on making some paczki! I never have. These look amazing!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 3, 2014, 12:50 PM

You’ve got to try it! They’re actually not that difficult to make and so delicious.

• Leslie Limon March 2, 2014, 6:59 PM

Can you believe I’ve never had a paczki?! I have been missing out! I need to remedy that sad situation ASAP!

• Jennifer Miller March 2, 2014, 7:04 PM

• littleredkitchen March 2, 2014, 10:54 PM

I have a fear of deep frying at home. Is it okay if I just come to your place for paczki?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 3, 2014, 12:49 PM

You’re always welcome here Susan! And while I’ve found frying not to be nearly as intimidating as I thought, it’s dangerous that I now feel comfortable deep frying at home. Keep the fear as long as you can!

• Laura Hunter March 3, 2014, 9:01 AM

These are my husband”s favourite kind of doughnuts. In the local market there is a fresh bakery that makes all kinds of varieties including toffee.

• Carrie March 3, 2014, 11:00 AM

These look so wonderful!!

• Jane's Adventures in Dinner March 3, 2014, 1:15 PM

These are just gorgeous donuts!

• Jessica_AKitchenAddiction March 3, 2014, 1:20 PM

These sound incredible! They may have to become a new tradition!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:23 PM

Definitely! They’re so fun and a great once-a-year kind of treat. More than that and my blood sugar might rebel. 🙂

• cathy b March 3, 2014, 1:43 PM

Lovely photos and the filling looks wonderful

• Nancy March 3, 2014, 3:08 PM

Thank you for the step by step photos, Courtney! I’m so impressed that you were able to take so many awesome photos while making these babies. I used to get so frustrated washing my hands after every step in order to take a pic. My gawd, your paczki looks SO FREAKING GOOD. Like, smack-my-face-on-the-computer-screen-cause-I’m-trying-to-eat-your-photos good. I use my chopsticks to level off flour all the time. Again, we’re the same person, lol.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:22 PM

Believe me, the whole step-by-step photo thing was not very gracious. I got flour all over my camera and I was standing on top of chairs to try to get the right angle into the bowls. It’s SO MUCH WORK. Definitely makes me appreciate the people who do it for every single recipe. I don’t think I can get there, but I can see the benefits for a recipe like this that’s a little out of the ordinary. Seriously, Nancy, I’m starting to wonder if we might have been separated at birth…

• Girl From Poland March 3, 2014, 3:38 PM

These look great and authentic but TL;DR. However, let’s get two things straight: 1. Paczki is already plural (same for pierogi), singular is just paczek. Pronounced poncheck/ponchkee. 2. They’re made for Fat Thursday, not Tuesday.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:21 PM

Thanks for sharing! Here I am adding an s all over the place! I’ll change that in the post!

• Karen @ The Food Charlatan March 3, 2014, 6:16 PM

I’ve never had these, they look amazing! How could they not be after 2 coats of sugar 🙂 I only started doing step-by-step photos in the last few months. They are intense. Very time consuming, I second what Nancy just said, it’s so frustrating having to pause to wash hands. I just spent the last 5 hours making and photographing 2 recipes (one failure 🙁 and my kitchen looks like a grenade went off. I’m like, I don’t have time to clean right now, I can clean after the sun goes down!! But your photos look great and I applaud your efforts, I know how long this took you.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:20 PM

I don’t think I’m going to do step-by-step photos for most recipes because I was dyyyying after editing all of them, but I’d like to try to keep it up for the more complicated dishes at least. Let’s be honest, sometimes I don’t wash my hands which is why my camera is covered in flour. So bad.

• Linda March 3, 2014, 10:47 PM

Mmmm these look great ! Amazing photos also . I live in Michigan , do you know where exactly I can find these ?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:19 PM

They’re incredibly popular around Hamtrammack (not sure of the spelling?) That’s where my husband used to get them.

• Joanne (eats well with others) March 4, 2014, 8:09 AM

I have seen packzi all over the interwebs but yours are the only ones I’ve seen with strawberry filling! Which is my favorite. Want.To.Inhale.These.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 4, 2014, 1:18 PM

It’s my favorite! Next time I’m thinking I might try to stuff with custard AND strawberry jam. Ya know, if I’m feeling ambitious.

• Kim Beaulieu March 5, 2014, 5:31 AM

Love these. We make them every year. Cannot get enough of them. Yours looks absolutely divine. Love strawberry.

• Renee Dobbs March 8, 2014, 9:36 PM

Drooling. I want one now and the rest for later. Awesomeness indeed.

• sharjk February 10, 2015, 6:58 PM

Where do I get the filling it wasn’t just jelly from what I remember it wasn’t that sweet

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 10, 2015, 7:36 PM

I have always used my favorite jam, but specialty cake/craft stores often have fruit fillings you can buy if you would prefer that.