This savory ham salad has just a hint of bite from wasabi powder and makes a great sandwich or dip!

Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad |

Are you ever just tired?

Oh, yeah. Ummm, me neither. I am always bubbling over with positive energy. I never pick up takeout on the way home from work or put off doing the laundry until I have no clean underwear left.

Ahem. Lies. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The truth is, sometimes cooking dinner feels like attempting to climb Mt. Everest. After a long day of (answering angry phone calls, listening to screaming children, insert other stressor here), the last thing I feel like doing is making dinner.

But the second truth is, caving in and getting fast food only makes me feel worse. Then I have guilt + burger belly. Not a good combo.

That’s why I am so excited about this week’s #SundaySupper theme, 5 Ingredients or Less.

That’s right. All of today’s recipes have 5 or fewer ingredients, so you can make dinner on the worst of days.

I tend to forget about good ol’ salad recipes, but they’re a great way to use up leftover meats and a cinch to throw together. This ham salad was a natural fit for all our Easter leftovers since it uses both ham and hard boiled eggs.

Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad |

But what makes this ham so special is the combination of cream cheese and wasabi.

Weirded out yet?

Don’t be. This recipe was inspired by my recent Ohio Egg Adventure, where our host treated us to a Chopped-style deviled egg-stravaganza. He gave each of the bloggers in attendance a $10 budget and charged us with finding a unique ingredient he would be forced to use to make deviled eggs. We wondered the aisles of the North Market, looking for just the thing.  I quickly got sucked into the spice shop, where I simply couldn’t stop thinking about the wasabi powder. The idea of wasabi eggs was just too intriguing.

Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad |

Thankfully, I was not disappointed. Our fearless leader grabbed that wasabi, stirred it into a mixture of cream cheese and hardened egg yolks, added a few glugs of Green Machine Smoothie (yes, you heard right. It was Melanie Make’s contribution!), and piped out one heck of a deviled egg. He finished each serving with a small cube of ham, and the combination was…well…surprisingly tasty.

The wasabi added a fantastic bite, similar to horseradish but a bit mellower, and the cream cheese made for an exceptionally creamy deviled egg. Needless to say, I was impressed.

I decided to use these same elements to make ham salad (minus the Green Smoothie-sorry Melanie!), and the flavors translated perfectly. The tangy-hot zest of wasabi will keep you coming back for bite after bite. Great served with chips, on a big fluffy onion roll, or as a dip with crackers and veggies, this 5 ingredient wonder should be a regular on your post-holiday menu.

Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad |

Definitely take some time to check out all of the 5 Ingredient Recipes my #SundaySupper friends have brought to the table today, and save them for one of those I-can’t-imagine-cooking-dinner days.

Note: If you’re having trouble finding wasabi powder in grocery stores, you can buy it on Amazon here.

Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad
  • 2 cups chopped ham
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1-2 teaspoons wasabi powder, depending on the amount of heat you like
  1. Stir together the ham and softened cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the celery, eggs, and wasabi powder. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve as a sandwich or with crackers or chips for dipping.

Recipe by Neighborfood

Blogger Disclosure: This post may include links to my affiliate account at The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program provides means for sites like mine to earn advertising fees by sharing the products we love. Thank you for supporting Neighborfood when you shop at Amazon!

Appetizers, Salads and Starters

Sides and Accompaniments

Main Dishes

Desserts and Beverages

Sunday SupperJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

• Laura Hunter April 27, 2014, 6:50 AM

Ha I love the Green Machine Smoothie, now I am curious about that version. 🙂

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014, 10:04 AM

It was actually really good. It just had a little bit of sweetness from the smoothie. I never would have thought it would work, but it totally did!

• Alice Choi April 27, 2014, 6:59 AM

Courtney! LOVE love love that you added wasabi powder!!! Brilliant!

• Marjory @ Dinner-Mom April 27, 2014, 7:04 AM

Loved the addition of wasabi powder! I bet it gives perfect kick! (I had sushi last night…I’m a definite wasabi fan!)

• Liz April 27, 2014, 7:41 AM

Hooray! Another idea for my leftover Easter ham that’s parked in the freezer! Wonderful recipe, Courtney!!!

• Tammi Forcier April 27, 2014, 7:54 AM

Super excited that I have these 5 ingredients to make this tomorrow! And a way to use up the Easter ham thanks for being creative!

• Jennifer Drummond April 27, 2014, 8:53 AM

Now this is an egg salad sandwich! I love the wasabi!!

• Tracy April 27, 2014, 9:49 AM

That looks AMAZING! Thank you – this is definitely one I will have to try!

• Renee Goerger April 27, 2014, 9:55 AM

Just reading the ingredients in your recipe is making me very hungry! I’m pinning and stumbling this one because it just sounds so darned good! Thanks for sharing.

• Heather S-G April 27, 2014, 10:58 AM

This does sound like a mouthwatering combo. I think I need to get myself some wasabi powder!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014, 10:03 AM

Definitely! Now that I have it, I’m sprinkling it on everything. It just perks things up a little bit.

• Constance April 27, 2014, 11:09 AM

Mmmm….this sounds fantastic! And what a fun event that must have been.

• Marlene A Baird April 27, 2014, 11:18 AM

What a fun adventure for you I am sure. The cream cheese wasabi sound delicious and mouthwatering too.

• littleredkitchen April 27, 2014, 11:54 AM

I have never had a ham salad because well most don’t look as good as yours! However I think you’ve managed to change my mind on giving it a go!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014, 10:02 AM

Truthfully, this was kind of a nightmare to photograph. Ham salad is NOT pretty. But I tried to make it look like something you’d actually want to eat. 🙂

• Family Foodie April 27, 2014, 12:08 PM

What a fantastic Ham Salad… on my must try list.

• Confessions of a Culinary Diva April 27, 2014, 12:17 PM

I may or may not resemble that tired and burger belly occasionally during the week, and the guilt afterwards. I love this weeks 5 ingredients, I’m finding so many great ideas and recipes to try when work has been exhausting.
    Wasabi is amazing – it really perks up anything you include it in. I will definitely be trying this.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014, 10:02 AM

Glad I’m not the only one who suffers from burger belly! I’m also loving all these five ingredient recipes. Getting lots of good ideas for busy nights!

• Tara April 27, 2014, 12:49 PM

Fantastic recipe, love all the ingredients, I have to try this one for sure!!

• Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits April 27, 2014, 2:33 PM

I don’t eat a lot of hame but my kids would sing praises if I made them this sandwich meat. I like the wasabi kick to it.

• Julie April 27, 2014, 2:42 PM

What a creative dish! Looks great!

• Deanna Samaan April 27, 2014, 3:28 PM

Ohhh I want a bite of this, I love all the flavors in it!

• Melanie | Melanie Makes April 27, 2014, 3:35 PM

Can’t even tell you how much I love this! What a fun reminder of our trip. I can make it and think of you!

• kimchi_mom April 27, 2014, 3:40 PM

Last night was one of those nights…I had to work all Saturday afternoon and when 5:00 rolled around, the last thing I wanted to do was make dinner. BUT I finally conjured up the energy to throw something together since 1) the kids needed to eat and 2) takeout would just make me feel worse.

I LOVE the sound of this sandwich AND I have all the ingredients to try this tomorrow night…my busy night!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014, 10:01 AM

Totally feel you on those crazy nights. I hope this helped make your busy night a little less stressful!

• Kathia Rodriguez April 27, 2014, 5:40 PM

Great salad, love the spice the wasabi give to recipes.

• Katie April 27, 2014, 6:47 PM

What a smart idea for using up the Easter dinner leftovers! I love the look of your sandwich!

• Flour On My Face April 27, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think I would love this recipe! Pinning for later!

• Stacy April 28, 2014, 1:38 PM

Love the addition of the wasabi, Courtney! I’ve never thought to use it in ham salad and now I don’t know why not!

• Camilla Mann April 28, 2014, 2:30 PM

Color me intrigued! Great pick for the #SundaySupper group.

• Susan Pridmore April 28, 2014, 3:46 PM

I love the wasabi addition! I need to pick some up. This is a GREAT idea for a stunning ham salad!! Beautiful photos too!

• Shaina Wizov April 28, 2014, 3:51 PM

The sandwich looks beautiful, and adding wasabi is definitely something different. I love seeing how creative everyone gets for #SundaySupper

• Dionne Baldwin April 28, 2014, 9:28 PM

I’ve never had a ham salad sandwich before but this might start a trend, especially with wasabi!

• Elisabeth April 28, 2014, 9:37 PM

I can testify….this ham salad is so good! I was worried about the wasabi but it really
    added that zip. Good job, Courtney!

• Soni April 29, 2014, 1:19 PM

Oh I love Wasabi and this is something I have to try!! Love the combo with the Ham and cream cheese and I bet its super delicious 🙂

• Krayl Funch April 29, 2014, 2:23 PM

Great twist on a classic. And love the glass bottle coke.

• Bobbi Renee Hass-Burleson April 30, 2014, 2:00 PM

Oh my goodness, I am seriously drooling right now. I need this in my life ASAP!

• Webicurean May 1, 2014, 12:41 PM

I may have to pick up some ham today just so I can try this!

• Renee Dobbs May 1, 2014, 4:05 PM

As much as I love ham, I’ve never been a fan of ham salad. That is until I see this one. I’m sure it will change my mind on ham salad forever. Bring on the cream cheese and wasabi!!