Frozen Breakfast Burritos are easy to make in advance and provide a convenient way to get a protein packed breakfast every day!
I don’t know about you, but when I think of breakfast foods, my first thought isn’t usually BEEF! I usually relegate beef to the lunch and dinner tables, where it can be thrown into a casserole, tacos, or between two buns.
However, buying and freezing a side of beef does tend to change your perspective on these things. With piles of ground beef hanging out in my freezer, I decided I needed to find a way to bring beef to the AM.
These Frozen Mexican Breakfast Burritos combine two of the most versatile ingredients I have in my kitchen: homemade taco seasoning and ground beef. With these two things on hand, I know I’m not far from a quick and easy weeknight meal. And, as it turns out, the same thing applies to breakfast. Here classic taco seasoned beef is combined with peppers, onions, eggs, and plenty of cheese for a filling, healthy, and protein packed way to start the day.
I am loving these Breakfast Burritos for so many reasons. First, they’re easy to make. You can invest about 30 minutes to make 16 burritos, and you’ll have easy breakfasts for weeks. Secondly, they’re incredibly versatile. When I’m at home, I like to add fresh salsa, sour cream, and cilantro to the top, but you can also add hot sauce, Sriracha, avocado, or guacamole. Plus, they really fill me up. With tons of proteins and vegetables, this breakfast lasts me all morning long.
Needless to say, I’ll be making several more batches of these before baby comes. I know having a protein-loaded breakfast waiting for me in the freezer is going to be a lifesaver when my brain is functioning at a level only slightly above a zombie.
If you, like me, are somewhat of a burrito rolling novice, I’ve prepared a few photos to show you how to get a tight roll that will keep all that tasty filling inside your burrito instead of all over your new white shirt.
The key is all in the fold. I like to set up a little burrito rolling station when I make these with the beef filling, cheese, and egg all close at hand. I layer the filling ingredients slightly to one side of the center of the burrito.
Then I tuck in the top and bottom around the filling. From there, simply tuck and roll from left to right. You’ll be left with a compact, sealed burrito that can withstand the freezer, microwave, or oven. I lay the rolled burritos out on a sheet pan and flash freeze for 1-2 hours before placing them in a sealed ziplock bag for storage. You can thaw frozen burritos overnight, or simply take them straight from freezer to the microwave or oven. Either way, you’ve got a simple, quick, no fuss meal in minutes.
This May is Ohio beef month, and I’m teaming up with the Ohio Beef Council to celebrate! Ohio has 17,000 beef farming families dedicated to providing excellent care for their animals, protecting the environment, and giving consumers safe, healthy beef. You can meet an Ohio beef farmer and learn more about raising beef by visiting www.OhioBeef.org.
Along with being a good source of iron and 10 essential nutrients, one 3 ounce serving of beef has half the daily recommended amount of protein. Research shows eating balanced amounts of protein at each meal have many health benefits, including helping maintain or lose weight and supporting a healthy metabolism. You can test and experience the difference for yourself by signing up for the 30 day Protein Challenge. Simply sub quality, high protein foods for meals throughout the month and see how it makes you feel!
These Tex Mex Breakfast Burritos make increasing your protein convenient, affordable, and most importantly, delicious. Make a batch today, and enjoy the benefits of a high quality breakfast throughout the week!
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 sweet bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I like pepper jack or Mexican blend)
- 16 flour burrito shells
- Place the ground beef in a large, deep skillet and use a spatula to break it up. Cook over medium heat until starting to brown. Add onions and pepper and continue to cook until vegetables are soft and no pink remains in the beef. Drain any excess grease then set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl. Heat the olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until they're are softly scrambled, stirring often. Be careful not to overcook so you don't end up with rubbery eggs! Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. To assemble the burritos, gather the beef, eggs, cheese, and tortillas on a clean surface. Place a spoonful of cheese slightly to one side of the tortilla then top it with a scoop of eggs and a scoop of beef. Fold in the bottom and top of the tortilla then roll tightly from left to right. Place the burrito on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas. Freeze until solid, then remove from the tray and place in a freezer safe ziplock bag for storage.
- To reheat, thaw overnight then microwave for 30-45 seconds or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
This post is sponsored by The Ohio Beef Council. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands who support NeighborFood!