Let your Crock Pot make dinner tonight, with these easy Tequila Lime Beef Tacos. A great gluten free meal!
According to the Mr., you can never have too much beef. If it was up to him, we’d always have something meaty around. Whether it’s Crockpot Barbacoa, Harlem Meatloaf, or a tray full of meatballs, if there’s meat in the fridge, the Mr. is happy.
And you know what? I think the Mr’s. pretty darn smart. After all, with spicy shredded beef hanging out in the fridge, I know I’m only a moment away from a great dinner. And this time of year I especially appreciate the heartiness and warmth of a crockpot full o’ beef.
The great thing about recipes like this is how dang simple they are. Throw a bunch of stuff in the slow cooker and let it go. Forget about it. Go do laundry. Go out to lunch. Go buy some shoes. Go read a book. Dinner is taking care of itself. When you come back home, your house smells amazing, your husband is overjoyed, and suddenly you look like you have the prowess of Martha Stewart (without the jail time).
This recipe is similar to the Crockpot Barbacoa in that it takes a boring old dry beef roast and transforms it into tender, juicy, fall apart shredded beef. But the similarities pretty much end there. This beef is much more mild, with just a little heat, and the flavors are less saturated. The meat flavor definitely shines through more, which the Mr. loved. And, perhaps most exciting of all, the meat is totally gluten free! Served with all corn tortilla chips or taco shells, this makes for an excellent gluten free meal.
What you do with the pot of wondrous meaty goodness is totally up to you. We served it up in tacos one night, but the next night we threw it in some mac and cheese. That…was amazing. But try it on nachos, in a messy panini, or in a stew. Whichever way you use it, it’s sure to make the Mr.’s in your life happy.
Come back Wednesday to get the how to for authentic homemade corn tortillas!
Gluten Free Crockpot Tequlia Lime Beef Tacos
- 1 2-3 lb. beef roast
- 1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (leave the seeds in if you want some spice!)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tequila (if gluten free, make sure it says 100% agave)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortillas, avocados, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro for serving
- Rub both sides of the roast with salt and pepper and place in the crockpot. Sprinkle with garlic, cilantro, salsa, jalapenos, and red onion. Pour chicken broth, tequila, and lime juice over all. Cook on high for 2 hours then on low for an additional 6 hours or cook on low 8-10 hours. When cooked, remove to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Return to juices in pot and keep warm until ready to serve. Use a straining spoon or fork to serve.
Recipe by Neighborfood