Guess what other classic cookout side this girl doesn’t like?
That’s right, coleslaw.
Are we sensing a pattern here?
It must be the mayo…or the coldness. Or maybe it’s the appearance. I just don’t find off-white lumpy unidentifiable objects appealing. (Sorry if I just ruined everything sacred about cookouts).
It seems like every year the list of foods I dislike gets shorter and shorter. But one food that still hangs onto that list is coleslaw.
It is, however, gaining ground.
The Explorer’s Club, a local restaurant, has a really great spicy Sriracha slaw that’s pretty darn tasty, and even I had to admit it was the perfect compliment to their smoked brisket. I’ve also ventured out and tried slaw on a few burgers and was pleasantly surprised when I didn’t hate it.
But this avocado, lime, and sweet pepper slaw is what’s really tilting the scales in coleslaw’s favor.
They say avocado is nature’s mayo, and since mayo based salads seem to scare the heck out of my tastebuds and avocado makes me happier than a dog with peanut butter on his nose, I decided I might as well put the saying to the test.
Sure enough, creamy, dreamy avocado makes a fine coating for cabbage. And tiny slivers of crisp mini sweet peppers and red onion lend a juicy sweetness to every bite. And lime? It adds just the right amount of refreshing pucker.
And…wait a second. Stop right there. I know what you’re thinking.
You’re just making guacamole with cabbage in it aren’t you?
Me? Nooo. Of course not! Well…not really….sorta…I guess. There’s no jalapeno in there, so it’s not really guacamole. Right? Right?!
Ahhh, whatever. Call it guac and cabbage. Call it avocado slaw. Call it cabbacado or avocoleslaw for all I care! This stuff has made a believer out of me.
I can eat it plain. Like, right out of the bowl. Without any accompaniments. That is unheard of for me and slaw.
But it’s even better piled on top of burgers, stacked on dogs, or dolloped onto a turkey sandwich.
So maybe it’s really just guacamole with some cabbage snuck in there. Whatever it is, it’s darn good.
Avocado, Lime, and Sweet Pepper Slaw
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 a head of cabbage, shredded
- 5 mini sweet bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Slice avocado, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh out of the skin into a medium sized bowl. Use a fork to smash the avocado. Add the mayo and whisk until smooth. Squeeze the juice from half of the lime into the mixture and whisk to combine again.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, sweet peppers, red onion, and avocado mixture. Stir everything together until smooth. If needed, add the rest of the lime juice or an extra Tablespoon of mayo to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. This will keep okay overnight, but stays crisp and lighter if served within a few hours.
Recipe by Neighborfood