This Gingersnap Ice Box Cake is comprised of layers of apple pie filling, fluffy whipped cream, and spicy gingersnaps. It’s a great make-ahead friendly Thanksgiving dessert!
Guys, I think all my creative energy is officially being drained on creating yummy recipes.
This might not sound like a bad thing…unless you’re a family member expecting a Christmas present from me this year.
Sorry, family, you’re all getting deodorant for Christmas. At least I know you’ll use it. (You guys will use it, right?)
It’s either that or macaroni necklaces. It’s gotten that bad.
I promise I’ll at least make you dessert. Maybe that will help ease the disappointment when you open up your box of navy dress socks.
Ya know, maybe I’ll just skip the socks and give you this Apple Pie Gingersnap Icebox Cake.
It might be a little hard to wrap, but I think I can figure it out.
This is one present I’m sure you’re going to love. Layers of gingersnaps, cinnamon apples, and whipped cream refrigerated until they become one glorious mass of goodness? What’s not to love?
Also, icebox cakes take up zero brain space. (Except the space required to figure out that icebox actually means refrigerator. But hey, I just did that for you, so you’re good!)
They really couldn’t be simpler. Cook a few apples, whip some cream, then layer it up with gingersnaps and you’re done. No baking…AT ALL. Zip. Zilch. Nada. All you do is refrigerate this bad boy until the cream starts to soak into the gingersnaps and the parts become one.
This cake is completely make-ahead, making it perfect for the holidays. I mean it practically screams “Falalalala!” In fact, it might have actually screamed that I was shoveling it into my face.
You can also make this dessert gluten free with Mi-Del Gluten Free Gingersnaps. These cookies are so good I keep them in the house all the time just for snacking. And I’m not getting paid to say that. I just really, really love these cookies.
There you have it. A make ahead, no bake, gluten free cake the whole family will love.
Bring it on holidays. I’m not sceered.
Apple Pie Gingersnap Icebox Cake (Gluten Free!)
- 1 1/2 bags Mi-Del Gluten Free Gingersnaps
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 small apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- To make the whipped cream, place the whipping cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until the mixture starts to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the apples, cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble, place about 10 gingersnaps side by side in a circle then fill in the middle with additional cookies (I used 14 total cookies on my first layer).
- Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the cookies. This first layer is a little difficult because the cookies want to slide around, but just keep pushing them back together until you get the first layer down. From here on out, it's smooth sailing! Each whipped cream layer should be thick enough so that no cookie shows underneath.
- Top the whipped cream with a ⅓ of the apple mixture followed by another layer of whipped cream. Repeat this pattern twice- cookie, whipped cream, apple, whipped cream.
- On the last layer, I like to just pile the whipped cream in the center and place two gingersnaps in the middle to set it off. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight then slice and serve.
Recipe by Neighborfood