This 3 Bean Cilantro Lime Salad is a cinch to throw together and uses staple pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Ah, the infamous Three Bean Salad. We all know it well. It’s present at every potluck, summer picnic, and cookout, but it never seems to be anyone’s favorite. Located somewhere between the deviled eggs and the jello, the Three Bean Salad is normally an after thought. Maybe you’ll grab some if you’re still hungry after eating a giant burger with a side of cheese cubes and pasta salad.
Yeah…riiiiiight. Sure you will.
Honestly, I’ve never given Three Bean Salad a second thought. But all that changed when this recipe (which I now fondly refer to as THEEEE 3 Bean Salad recipe) came into my life. One of my friends made it for an ugly Christmas sweater party at her house, and it was the kind of thing you taste and immediately know you’ll be craving for days. It was fresh and tangy and a little citrusy and I couldn’t keep my tortilla chips away from it.
Of course, I asked for the recipe, and, lo and behold, my friend found it on Pinterest. Of course. I went home and immediately stalked her page for the recipe and bookmarked it myself. Normally it would take me weeks (months…YEARS!) to get around to making a bookmarked recipe, but this one skipped the waiting list and made it onto my family’s Christmas menu less than a week later.
Like I suspected, the Three Bean Salad was a hit with my family. Luckily for me (and you), it’s a cinch to throw together and uses staple pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand. This salad actually gets better the longer you let it sit, so it’s also perfect for making ahead of time. And for parties, it’s a great gluten free and vegetarian option. So whether you’re partying it up for the Super Bowl or just want a healthy lunch to take to work, this Three Bean Salad is your guy.
Hey, speaking of Pinterest, I’ve completely redone my Pinterest Boards to make it easier to find what you’re looking for. My boards are much more specific now, so if you’re looking for a chicken main dish, there’s a whole board just for that! The same goes for slow cooker meals, soups, sandwiches and so much more. Head over to my Pinterest page to check it out!
3 Bean Cilantro Lime Salad
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can cannelini beans
- 2 sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- Chili powder and black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, and onions.
- In a jelly jar, combine oil, vinegar, lime and lemon juice, salt, and garlic. Place the lid on, seal tight, then shake until well combined. Pour the vinegar mixture over the beans and stir to combine.
- Toss the mixture with the cilantro. Taste, then add chili pepper and/or salt if desired.
- Refrigerate mixture until ready to serve. This actually tastes even better the second day so feel free to make it ahead of time and refrigerate overnight.
Recipe adapted from Choose Happiness First