Nutella Swirled Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy and chock full of melty chocolate. They’re a new favorite!
I’ve gotten into a bad habit recently of never putting away our clean clothes. I find when it comes to laundry, my motivation decreases at each step. It goes like this:
Collecting and separating the laundry? BRING IT ON! I’m going to finish ALL the laundry before noon!
Throwing a load into the wash? I love deee bubbles! (That’s my best Sebastian voice).
Transferring clean laundry to the dryer? Well, this is a pain, but I suppose I can stop reading blogs for 30 seconds to do it.
Folding the laundry? Ugh, is that stuff really dry already? Maybe I should fluff it again. *Four hours pass.* Oh, this definitely needs to be fluffed. *2 more hours pass.* Okay, okay, I guess I can fold while watching The Bachelor.
Putting away the laundry? Not. Gonna. Happen.
It’s a bad habit, I know. Kind of like watching The Bachelor and never changing out of my yoga pants, buuuuut that’s another story for another day.
One good habit I’ve gotten into is baking lots of double batches of chocolate chip cookies. I always make a double batch when I bake cookies. I usually make a dozen or two for an event, then scoop and freeze the rest. We’ll pop a few in the oven at a time if we want a little dessert or if we have unexpected company over.
With all the chocolate chip cookies around, I’ve also been doing a lot of experimenting. I’ve salted, stuffed, and topped my cookies with everything from Snickers bars to potato chips.
But the experimentation that has gotten a permanent spot in our favorite-cookies-of-all-time rotation are these Nutella Swirled Chocolate Chip Cookies.
There’s really nothing more complicated here than making your favorite chocolate chip cookies recipe and adding Nutella. Genius stuff, I know.
All I did is scoop out small portions of dough, make a thumbprint in the center, add nutella, then scoop another small portion of dough on top. The nutella bakes into a lovely swirl between the two layers of cookies and adds another level of smooth chocolately goodness to the centers.
We liked these so much, I had to make them 3 times before I was able to snag a picture. It’s everything you love about chewy chocolate chip cookies PLUS Nutella. This is next level stuff baby.
With all the chocolate chip cookie baking happening, I am still learning the tricks for getting them just right. A few observations:
- The longer the dough rests in the fridge, the better the cookie. I’m talking daaaaays here. After 4 days in the fridge, these cookies are almost caramely. LOVE.
- Chopping your own chocolate from a bar makes for meltier, surprise chunks of chocolate in every bite. It’s worth the extra work.
- Underbake, underbake, underbake. I always take my cookies out while they’re still a little soft in the center then let them set up on the baking sheet. Not only are they wonderfully gooey that way, but they also stay soft much longer.
That’s it for now! I hope you’ll add a little chocolate hazelnut love to your next batch of chocolate chip cookies. Oh, and if anyone knows of someone I can hire to put away my laundry, send them my way. I’ll pay them in cookies. It’s a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup bread flour (can substitute all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup chopped chocolate
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
Recipe by Neighborfood