It’s Souper Bowl Week here on NeighborFood which means my friends and I are loading you up with comforting soup recipes fit for any Super Bowl party or cold winter night. I’m kicking off the festivities with this Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup loaded with crispy bacon, tater tots, and cheddar cheese PLUS a Le Creuset giveaway! Read on to find out how to enter!
Food mashups seem to be all the rage these days. For the most part, I’ve watched the trend with mild interest and a raised eyebrow. I generally prefer my food to be one thing. I want a chocolate chip cookie, not a chocolate chip cookie stuffed with an Oreo topped with a cupcake and sandwiched around ice cream. I’d like my burger on a plain ol’ bun, not a donut, and please, for the love of all that is holy, keep my pizza Dorito-free Pizza Hut.
Still, there are exceptions to my distaste for mashups. A local donut place serves a doughssant, which is a croissant deep fried and glazed like a donut, and it’s mind blowingly good. Another exception? This Bacon Cheeseburger Soup.
When you’re craving something creamy and warm, but also want the savory, cheesy goodness of a burger, this is the dinner for you. This meal is satisfying and rich, with all the flavor of your favorite bacon cheeseburger and all of the comfort of a hot bowl of soup.
This soup is loaded with onion, potatoes, tomato, ground beef, and lots of cheddar cheese. But like any burger, the toppings make all the difference. This one is piled high with crispy bacon, tater tots, and green onions. It’s your burger and fries all in one bowl! And the best part? It’s gluten free and easy to make!
When you can’t quite decide if it’s a burger night or a soup night, don’t sweat it! Just make this soup and get a taste of both in every bite.
This week, my friends Emily of Jelly Toast and Melanie of Melanie Makes are teaming up to bring you a week full of hearty, warming, comforting soups. They’re just the thing you’ll want to come home to on a cold winter night, and they’re perfect for feeding a crowd at your Super Bowl parties! We’re celebrating this Soup-er Bowl Extravaganza by giving away a gorgeous 5 quart Le Creuset French Oven. This is a staple piece for any kitchen, and the ultimate soup-cooking vessel. Scroll below the recipe to find out how to enter and be sure to check out my friend’s tantalizing soup recipes as well!
Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Soup with Tater Tots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 bag frozen tater tots
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Green onions, chopped (optional)
- Place the potatoes, onion, celery, basil, parsley, chicken broth, and tomatoes in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before you're ready to eat, brown the ground beef in a skillet. Drain any excess fat, then add the ground beef to the crock pot. (If you're cooking the bacon, add it to the skillet and fry while you proceed with the recipe. When crisp, remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels).
- Whisk together the cornstarch and ¼ cup of the milk until smooth. Stir it into the slow cooker, then add the remaining milk, cheddar cheese, and sour cream, stirring to combine. Turn the slow cooker up to high and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until soup is slightly thickened and heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and bake the tater tots according to package directions.
- Serve the soup warm topped with tater tots, bacon, and green onions, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 747kcal Calories from fat 521|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 58g||89%|
|Saturated Fat 28g||140%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home