Let your crock pot make breakfast while you’re sleeping with this easy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole packed with sausage, peppers, and cheese!
You know those infomercials where they show people struggling with simple tasks before Miracle Product XYZ entered their lives? This part of the infomercial is always in black and white and usually features a frazzled looking woman who’s raising her arms in frustration and swearing under her breath.
Of course, once Miracle Product XYZ enters her life, the world bursts into color. Hair is smoothed, wrinkles are erased, and smiles abound.
The Mr. and I always chuckle at these commercials, but I have to say, I’m starting to feel like my life is an infomercial Before Slow Cooker and After Slow Cooker.
You see, Before Slow Cooker, my life looked like this: A bleary eyed, scraggly haired version of me stumbles out of bed at the crack of dawn to prepare breakfast for guests. This version of me includes stumbling down the stairs, spilling milk everywhere, and scowling at the dog.
But then there’s After Slow Cooker Me. After Slow Cooker Me is well-rested and fully dressed. I skip down the stairs to be greeted by the smells of a fully cooked Sausage and Egg Casserole. This version of me affectionately scratches the dog’s ears and even finds time to set the table before guests arrive.
Slow Cooker People? If you’re listening, I want to be in your commercial. I promise, the transformation will be dramatic.
All joking aside, this discovery has been revolutionary for me. I mean, you can make breakfast while you’re sleeping! Can there be anything better?
All it takes is layering up this simple casserole with hash browns, peppers, onions, sausage, and cheese then pouring an egg mixture over everything. Set the crock pot to low, snuggle up under the covers, and escape to dream land. Your work is done. Eight hours later you’ll have your beauty rest and a scrumptious breakfast too!
I was honestly quite skeptical of how this would work, but the casserole came out beautifully. It actually stayed together quite well and was packed with flavor thanks to the sausage and the addition of green chilies. It’s the perfect solution for brunch parties or busy holiday mornings.
Of course, this dish open to a lot of experimentation, so feel free to switch up the meats or throw some greens or other veggies in there for good health. We served this with sriracha, but it’s also great with salsa, or, if you’re the Mr., ketchup.
However you decide to make it, I hope you too will discover the transformation of Before Slow Cooker You and After Slow Cooker You. You just might start seeing the world in color.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb. roll breakfast sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 15 ounces (1/2 bag) frozen hash browns
- 1 bell pepper (I used a mix of red and orange), chopped
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salsa or sriracha, for serving
- Add the sausage and onion to a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, breaking up the sausage with a spatula, until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
- Grease a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add half the frozen hash browns to the bottom of the skillet. Spread half of the sausage and onion mixture on top. Top with half the peppers, half the green chilies, and half the cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining hash browns, sausage, peppers, chilies, and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour the mixture into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until eggs are set and temperature registers 160 degrees in the center. There will likely be liquid around the edges of the casserole once it's done. Use a paper towel to sop up any extra liquid before serving. Serve with salsa or sriracha, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Looking for more Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole Recipes? Check these out!
Slow Cooker Chorizo Breakfast Casserole from Greens N Chocolate
Slow Cooker Cheesy Pesto and Spinach Egg Casserole from Girl Versus Dough
Crock Pot Mexican Breakfast Casserole from Sugar Free Mom