If you’re looking for a quick, portable breakfast option, look no further than these Baked Egg Cups packed with ham, veggies, and cheese!
Sometimes you need a back up plan. Maybe your quiche was watery, you dropped the cinnamon rolls on the floor, or your overnight guests decided they’d like to stay just one more night. When the stakes are high and the time is short, these egg cups are waiting to save the day.
There’s a lot to love about these protein packed breakfast bites, but the first is how easy they are to make. You start with eggs, milk, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Then you add your choice of meats, veggies, and cheeses. I usually just go with whatever happens to be hanging around the fridge.
The veggies and meats go into a greased muffin tin, and the egg mixture is poured on top then covered in cheese. The cups are baked for about 20 minutes until puffy and set, then they’re ready to serve! In about 30 minutes total time, you have a hot breakfast you can share with friends or refrigerate for quick breakfasts throughout the week.
The other thing I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can easily make it with ingredients you already have on hand. In fact, this recipe is perfect for using up those odds and ends you have lying around your refrigerator. Have a few green onions? A small block of cheese? A slice or two of deli ham? Throw them in! Virtually any vegetable or cheese you have on hand can go into the muffin cups.
Because these are automatically in individual portion sizes, it’s also easy to customize these to each family member’s taste. Leave out the spinach for the greens haters or omit the ham for vegetarians. There really is no end to the possibilities, but to get you started here are a few of my favorites:
Ham, Swiss, and Mushroom
Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil, and Italian Seasoning
Bacon, Cheddar, and Broccoli
Spinach, Mushroom, and Swiss
Bell Pepper, Mexican Cheese Blend, and Salsa
Green Onion, Ham, and Cheddar
I encourage you to experiment with your favorites, or go to your fridge and look for inspiration in the form of forgotten leftovers. You might be surprised what you come up with!
Baked Egg Cups with Ham, Spinach, and Cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
- Salt and pepper (a fat pinch of salt and a slightly skinnier pinch of pepper)
- Various chopped veggies (spinach, peppers, green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc)
- Ham, cooked bacon, or cooked sausage
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until light and fluffy.
- Chop up any vegetables and meats you have and divide them evenly among the 12 cups. Pour the egg mixture into each cup, filling it nearly to the brim. You may have a little egg mixture leftover.
- Sprinkle the tops of each cup with your choice of shredded cheese, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set and not sloshy at all. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing. To remove, run a knife along the edge of the cups, and use a spatula to lift them out of the pan.
- If refrigerating, allow the cups to cool completely then store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes when ready to eat.