This Dirt Pudding brings joy wherever it goes. It’s a favorite of kids and adults alike!
If given the choice, the Mr. ALWAYS picks this Dirt Pudding over any other dessert. It doesn’t matter what the competition looks like. It doesn’t matter if it’s the creamiest, most decadent, fudgiest, prettiest dessert on the planet. The Mr. will choose this. In fact, I’ve stopped bothering to ask.
If I want to try a new recipe for a dessert, I better just do it (or hope that I don’t have the ingredients for Dirt Pudding on hand so I can weasel my way out of it). It’s not that he doesn’t like other desserts. It’s just that he LOVES Dirt Pudding.
And truthfully, I can’t blame him. I mean, really, what’s not to like? Loaded with Oreos, pudding, cream cheese, and Cool Whip, this simple Oreo Dirt Dessert is bound to be a crowd-pleaser. Plus, the gummy worms make it actually resemble real dirt. Appetizing right? I mean who wouldn’t want to eat a heaping helping of worms in dirt with a tiny shovel?
Worms In Dirt: A Childhood Favorite
While I like to tease the Mr. about his undying affection for Dirt Pudding, I’m awfully fond of it myself. It was a childhood favorite and continues to be the most popular dessert at any potluck. Nothing makes you feel like a kid again quite like slurping gummy worms out of your dirt dessert until your face is covered in pudding splatters. Plus, it’s a cinch to whip together a quick bucket of dirt and worms for an impromptu party dessert.
Simple Oreo Dirt Pudding Recipe
Sure, you could do things the hard way with homemade pudding and freshly whipped cream. Heck, you could even make your own Oreos. But really, the joy of this recipe is in the ease of its assembly.
- Crush a few Oreo cookies,
- Beat a few different kinds of dairy products together, and…
- BOOM! You’ve got yourself a stellar Oreo Dirt Pudding dessert.
Plus, you can change up the pudding combinations based on your mood. My favorite is a mixture of milk chocolate and french vanilla. The Mr. prefers all fudge chocolate pudding. I’ve tried cheesecake and mint combinations before too.
Dirt And Worms For A Down To Earth Theme
I made this especially for my son’s farm themed second birthday, so serving this in a pail with lots of gummy worms on top (and a tiny toy tractor) was a must. The worms are also perfect for a Halloween party, although you might want to trade the pail for a fun and festive flower pot or a plastic pumpkin. You could even add some “graveyard” decorations like in these Halloween Cheesecake Parfaits. However you make your Oreo Dirt Pudding, it’s sure to be a hit!
- 1 1/2 (14 ounce) packages Oreos
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 small boxes instant pudding (use all chocolate, all vanilla, or a mix of two. I prefer all French vanilla pudding)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 12 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Gummy worms (optional)
- Place oreos in a large ziplock bag and seal. Use a rolling pin to crush oreos. Pour melted butter in the bag and shake to combine.
- Whisk the milk and pudding mix together in a bowl until starting to thicken, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium high speed until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Fold the pudding in, beating on low speed until well combined. Stir in whipped topping.
- If you're using a large play pail to serve the pudding, you might want to place the whipped topping lid upside down in the bottom. This shortens the pail and makes it so the pudding will go all the way up to the top. Place a layer of Oreos at the bottom. Put a layer of the pudding mixture over top. Repeat until both are gone, beginning and ending with the Oreos. Arrange gummy worms on top. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Original Flavor, 1 Resealable Family Size Pack
- KitchenAid 5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- American Plastic Toys 8" Pail and Shovel Beach Set
- Gummi Worms - 5 Pound Bag
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g