Your search for diner-style, perfect Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes ends here. These are outrageously delicious and easy to make!

These Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are easy to make and outrageously good!

This is big news.

HUGE news. Like, we landed on the moon! huge. Or hey, all the laundry is actually done! huge.

I’ve finally found it. The most fantastical, delightful, lovely pancake recipe.

It’s been a long road, friends. We’ve eaten a lot of flat pancakes. We’ve eaten a lot of pancakes that resemble bricks. We’ve consumed more than a few rubbery pancakes. We’ve eaten pancakes salty with the tears of futility (okay, that was perhaps a little dramatic).

But that’s all over now. Because we’ve finally found the one. And we’re never going back.

These are perfect. PERFECT! Everything I’ve ever wanted in a pancake.

Make pancakes like a diner queen with this easy Fluffy Buttermilk Pancake recipe.

Fluffy. Puffy. Buttery. Airy. Comfort-y.

They’re so good they don’t even need butter and syrup.

Of course that didn’t stop me from adding it anyway. Because let’s face it, the night you’re having pancakes for dinner is not the night to practice restraint.

Believe it or not, they get even even better with syrup. The syrup soaks into every little nook and cranny so every bite has the perfect balance of puffy, buttery pancake and sweet, sultry syrup. Nooks and crannies, people. Nooks and crannies! In your pancakes.

So let’s get down to business about the recipe. This is an easy, easy recipe! Promise.

The secret? A separated egg.

That’s it. You don’t have to whip egg whites, search the aisles of your grocery store for malt powder, or spend a billion dollars on a stand mixer.

All you do is separate an egg. Add the yolk in with your other wet ingredients. Add the white at the very end of the recipe.

I don’t know why it works. I don’t know why it creates the fluffiest, most delicious pancakes ever. I’m sure it’s some crazy law of science or something.

All I know is this:

These pancakes are perfect.

You should make them soon…and by soon I mean today…and by today I mean now.

Thick, fluffy, and oh so buttery, these Buttermilk Pancakes will make you feel like you're at a diner.

Perfect Fluffy Pancakes
  • 1¼ cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup milk
  • Canola oil
  1. Heat a griddle over medium heat and cover with a thin layer of neutral oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder.
  2. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk, butter, buttermilk, and milk.
  3. Add yolk mixture to dry mixture and stir gently until barely combined.
  4. Add egg white to the mixture and stir until a thick, lumpy bumpy batter forms. Stop before the batter smooths out! The egg white may not even be all the way incorporated. That's okay! We like lumps and bumps in our pancake batter.
  5. Drop mixture by the half cup full onto the preheated pan. Sprinkle blueberries, chocolate chips, or other mix ins onto the surface of pancakes. Cook until bubbles start to appear on the exposed surface of the pancake. When bubbles appear, flip pancake and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned. Keep finished pancakes warm in a single layer on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 200 degrees or serve immediately with butter and warm real maple syrup. (I know, I know, the real stuff is expensive. But as they say, ain't nothin like the real thing baby!)

Recipe adapted from The Kitchn

• Katie Arnold June 19, 2012, 8:28 AM

I really like the photography in this post. It makes me want to eat a pancake real bad.

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction June 19, 2012, 11:01 AM

Mmm. . .fluffy pancakes!!

• Christina June 20, 2012, 9:46 AM

These look incredible! I am so making brinner tonight. And you made me laugh probably 4 different times while I was reading this. Such a winnning combination, reading about delicious food and laughing while doing so….now to get to the eating!

• Ally June 20, 2012, 11:51 AM

My next breakfast? …Solved.

• Tasha Zee June 20, 2012, 1:46 PM

Love it! Totally on my weekend must do this!

• Julia @The Roasted Root June 20, 2012, 5:12 PM

These do look perfect! In fact, they look so great that I don’t want to wait until breakfast to try them! Who would’ve thought separating an egg would be so magical?!

• MyFudo™ June 21, 2012, 8:30 AM

I am totally making this for breakfast. I have been searching for the best pancake recipe too. I will be following the procedure to the dot. Excited much. Thanks!

• Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 21, 2012, 9:39 AM

Gorgeous photos! I haven’t gotten around to breakfast yet, and I’m absolutely starving now, looking at your post! 🙂 Great tip!

• I love your pancakes 🙂 it looks so soft.

• ekwee June 21, 2012, 12:41 PM

These. Look. Amazing. I’ve been searching for the perfect pancake recipe for so long and can’t wait to try these!

• Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. June 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

Thank you! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

• Anonymous June 30, 2012, 1:58 PM

Saw your recipe and made them right away. I too was on the road to find the perfect pancake recipe. And yours is truely is most fantastical, delightful, lovely pancake recipe ever!!!
      Thank you from the bottom of my very full tummy!
      Katie H.

• Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. June 30, 2012, 11:20 PM

I’m so glad you liked them as much as we did! And thanks for coming back to comment. It makes my day!

• Nicole Reis July 1, 2012, 9:56 PM

I had already eyed the ones on the Kitchn before finding your version. Surprisingly their photos weren’t worthwhile, which is what kept me going on my search. I ended up trying out this recipe today, subbing in coconut oil for the butter, and they are exactly what I’ve been looking for in a non-whole wheat pancake. Thanks!

• Anonymous July 10, 2012, 1:54 PM

Ok I will try but not today but soooon. The restaurant I went to taday and last week were crunchy.
    I did not see a link to print so I will go back one link and do it there.

• Space Monkey 1138 July 11, 2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I had it saved on foodgawker and finally got around to trying it. I doubled it, did not have buttermilk so I used whole milk and saco buttermilk powder. Added a tsp of vanilla. Used half butter and half organic coconut oil. These were the best pancakes I’ve ever made! SO tender. No rubbercakes here! Thanks again!

• ekwee July 18, 2012, 11:36 AM

So…I made these. And they are def my new fav from-scratch recipe. Even reheated, they’re so fluffy and nice and crisp on the outside! I used white whole wheat flour and replaced the buttermilk with almond milk + apple cider vinegar and they were still fabulous 🙂 Just when I was losing hope that I would never find a homemade recipe as good as restaurant-made pancakes…

• ekwee July 18, 2012, 11:37 AM

I still can’t believe separating the egg makes that much of a difference!

• Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. July 18, 2012, 2:50 PM

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! It seems you can make quite a lot of changes and substitutions and they still turn out great so the magic must be in that separated egg. I can’t wait to try these with white whole wheat flour. Great idea!

• Shiloh Barkley August 3, 2012, 8:12 PM

They were delicious!!

• Maureen January 12, 2013, 1:44 AM

This is nearly my recipe but I use milk and fresh lemon juice instead of buttermilk. I love them and want some now. 🙂

• grandbabycakes February 25, 2013, 11:53 PM

These look super incredible! Gosh, there is nothing like fluffy buttermilk pancakes.

• Kamila Gornia | Passion-Driven February 26, 2013, 3:29 PM

Me = loves pancakes.
    Fluffy = the best pancakes
    So delicious. Mmmm. Plus your photography is stunning!

• mommaria March 21, 2013, 7:01 AM

Awesome pancakes. My son asked for pancakes yesterday so I am surprising him this morning. I hope he gets up before mommy eats all the goodies hahaha. No need for butter or syrup, good news for a diabetic.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 21, 2013, 9:48 AM

Definitely! They’re delicious all on their own. Especially if you add blueberries or bananas to the mix. Thanks for making them and coming back to leave a comment!

• Kate April 26, 2013, 7:59 PM

Hi Courtney! I just wanted to leave a comment and say that these pancakes are amazing and thanks so much for the recipe! Instead of cooking them the traditional way, I baked them in a cupcake tray and added a berry sauce, they were amazing! here’s a picture if you’re interested! thanks again!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 27, 2013, 11:36 PM

What a cool idea! They look great. I will have to try that sometime. Thanks so much for coming back to share!

• Mel June 12, 2013, 9:02 PM

It’s true – these are mind-blowingly good. I wanted to make those big, fluffy, fruity pancakes you find in good brekky cafes and this recipe was perfect, went without a hitch and going straight to my recipe journal. Thanks for my delicious brekky 🙂

• Vicky March 3, 2014, 7:49 PM

I have some leftover buttermilk in the fridge. Thank goodness for Shrove Tuesday. I’m looking forward to trying these.. they look amazing! Thanks REE!

• Lisa October 23, 2014, 8:52 AM

Oops. Meant to post a comment, not just my name 🙂 Made these this morning – amazing, yummy, fluffy, and I love that they hardly have any sugar in them. I used vinegar + milk instead of the buttermilk b/c I didn’t have any in the house. Made a double batch and am freezing the leftovers for breakfast for next week. Thanks!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood October 24, 2014, 10:37 AM

So glad you liked them! Looks like you have some tasty breakfasts in store. Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know!

• Fran November 11, 2014, 2:16 PM

I don’t even… thank you so much for this! I’ve been searching for a recipe that would give similar results to restaurant pancakes, and stumbled on this… I made my own buttermilk with white vinegar and milk, and these are absolutely perfect (didn’t use any oil, I used my crepe pan). They are amazing. Thank you!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood November 11, 2014, 3:57 PM

That is awesome! I’m so glad these were a hit for you! Now I want pancakes for dinner. 🙂