This Raspberry Cordial is sweet, but not too sweet. Serve it with the fanciest linens you own in the company of kindred spirits. It’s the way Anne would want it to be.
Oh, Anne Shirley. That adventurous red-headed dreamer with a heart of gold and a penchant for trouble. She’s as much a part of my childhood as Barbie dolls and slumber parties.
Anne of Green Gables is one of my “heart clutch” movies. It’s the kind of movie that makes you hold your hands to your chest, sigh, and get a little teary. It’s one of those movies that makes you laugh and cry, that speaks something beautiful into your soul.
Part of the reason I love this story so much is because I see myself in Anne. Her fierce loyalty, her awkwardness, her uncanny ability to get herself into sticky situations, her romantic idealism, her tendency to be just a tad over-dramatic. Yup, Anne and I are kindred spirits for sure.
I’m so obsessed with this movie I so appropriately enjoy this movie for a woman of my age, the Mr. even surprised me by taking us to Prince Edward Island (where the movie was filmed) for our honeymoon. It’s an absolutely gorgeous setting–the kind that overwhelms you with its simplicity and grace. It’s nickname is actually the gentle island. Ummm, can you say heart clutch?
Exhibit A: this lake is called “The Lake of Shining Waters.” That’s its actual name, people. How can you not love this place?
Here’s the Mr. with a slate in the school house of Avonlea. If you get the connotations of this picture, we are totally bosom friends for life.
And finally me. Living out my dream of one day being Anne of Green Gables.
Alright, at this point you’re either thinking, me and this girl are totally kindred spirits! OR when is this crazy girl going to get on with it and tell me about this pink drink?
Don’t worry, I love you both, and I’m getting there.
If you haven’t read the books or seen the movies
we can’t be friends anymore, let me tell you the backstory of this delightful raspberry cordial. In the movie, Anne is beside herself with glee because her adoptive mother, Marilla, has agreed to let her best friend Diana come over for an unsupervised afternoon tea. Best of all, Marilla has given them permission to drink her homemade Raspberry Cordial.
When Diana arrives, Anne goes out of her way to make her guest feel at home, starting with a goblet and the bottle of cordial. While Anne jabbers on (as per her usual) in the kitchen, Diana manages to down three full goblets of the cordial. When Anne returns, she discovers Diana drunk as a skunk. As it turns out, the bottle was actually full of Marilla’s famed mulled wine, not the sweet and child-friendly Raspberry Cordial. When Diana returns home, the drama thickens, but you’ll have to watch the movie to find out what happens next.
This is a re-creation of that famed raspberry cordial. It’s simple to make and only requires frozen raspberries, sugar, lemons, and boiling water. It’s sort of like raspberry lemonade, only flipped. Lemon raspberryade. Sweet, but not too sweet, it’ll have you grinning from one raspberry stained ear to the other.
Although real raspberry cordial is non-alcoholic, I think this would be stunning with some champagne, sparkling white wine, or, if you really need something strong, vodka. Either way, serve it with the fanciest linens you own in the company of kindred spirits. It’s the way Anne would want it to be.
Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables #SundaySupper
- 2 (340 g) packages frozen raspberries
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 cups water
- 3 lemons
- In a medium sized sauce pan, combine raspberries and sugar. Cook over medium low heat until raspberries have broken down and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Use a berry masher or two forks to mash berries completely.
- In another small bowl, squeeze out the juice of two lemons.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Set a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the raspberry mixture and the lemon juice through the strainer, pressing on it with a spoon to get all the juices out. Discard what's left in the strainer or eat it with a spoon like I did because it's SO GOOD.
- Pour the boiling water into the raspberry mixture and stir to combine. Chill for several hours before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.
- I imagine this would be fantastic with a little champagne or sparkling white wine mixed in. Or if you really need something strong, vodka. 🙂
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 229kcal Calories from fat 7|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Adapted from Anne of Green Gables
This week’s #SundaySupper theme is movie inspired recipes, which means we’re cooking up foods from some of the most iconic and best loved movies of all time. We’ve got recipes inspired by Lady and the Tramp, Lord of the Rings, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the Princess Bride, Sixteen Candles, and a whole lot more.
Are you squealing yet?
Check it out!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog