This Raspberry Cordial is sweet, but not too sweet. Serve it with the fanciest linens you own in the company of kindred spirits. It’s the way Anne would want it to be.

Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables

Oh, Anne Shirley. That adventurous red-headed dreamer with a heart of gold and a penchant for trouble. She’s as much a part of my childhood as Barbie dolls and slumber parties.

Anne of Green Gables is one of my “heart clutch” movies. It’s the kind of movie that makes you hold your hands to your chest, sigh, and get a little teary. It’s one of those movies that makes you laugh and cry, that speaks something beautiful into your soul.

Part of the reason I love this story so much is because I see myself in Anne. Her fierce loyalty, her awkwardness, her uncanny ability to get herself into sticky situations, her romantic idealism, her tendency to be just a tad over-dramatic. Yup, Anne and I are kindred spirits for sure.

Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables

I’m so obsessed with this movie I so appropriately enjoy this movie for a woman of my age, the Mr. even surprised me by taking us to Prince Edward Island (where the movie was filmed) for our honeymoon. It’s an absolutely gorgeous setting–the kind that overwhelms you with its simplicity and grace. It’s nickname is actually the gentle island. Ummm, can you say heart clutch?

Exhibit A: this lake is called “The Lake of Shining Waters.” That’s its actual name, people. How can you not love this place?

Prince Edward Island

Here’s the Mr. with a slate in the school house of Avonlea. If you get the connotations of this picture, we are totally bosom friends for life.

Anne of Green Gables Slate

And finally me. Living out my dream of one day being Anne of Green Gables.

Anne of Green Gables costume

Alright, at this point you’re either thinking, me and this girl are totally kindred spirits! OR when is this crazy girl going to get on with it and tell me about this pink drink?

Don’t worry, I love you both, and I’m getting there.

If you haven’t read the books or seen the movies we can’t be friends anymore, let me tell you the backstory of this delightful raspberry cordial. In the movie, Anne is beside herself with glee because her adoptive mother, Marilla, has agreed to let her best friend Diana come over for an unsupervised afternoon tea. Best of all, Marilla has given them permission to drink her homemade Raspberry Cordial.

When Diana arrives, Anne goes out of her way to make her guest feel at home, starting with a goblet and the bottle of cordial. While Anne jabbers on (as per her usual) in the kitchen, Diana manages to down three full goblets of the cordial. When Anne returns, she discovers Diana drunk as a skunk. As it turns out, the bottle was actually full of Marilla’s famed mulled wine, not the sweet and child-friendly Raspberry Cordial. When Diana returns home, the drama thickens, but you’ll have to watch the movie to find out what happens next.

Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables

This is a re-creation of that famed raspberry cordial. It’s simple to make and only requires frozen raspberries, sugar, lemons, and boiling water. It’s sort of like raspberry lemonade, only flipped. Lemon raspberryade. Sweet, but not too sweet, it’ll have you grinning from one raspberry stained ear to the other.

Although real raspberry cordial is non-alcoholic, I think this would be stunning with some champagne, sparkling white wine, or, if you really need something strong, vodka. Either way, serve it with the fanciest linens you own in the company of kindred spirits. It’s the way Anne would want it to be.

Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables #SundaySupper
  • 2 (340 g) packages frozen raspberries
  • 1¼ cup sugar
  • 6 cups water
  • 3 lemons
  1. In a medium sized sauce pan, combine raspberries and sugar. Cook over medium low heat until raspberries have broken down and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Use a berry masher or two forks to mash berries completely.
  2. In another small bowl, squeeze out the juice of two lemons.
  3. Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
  4. Set a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the raspberry mixture and the lemon juice through the strainer, pressing on it with a spoon to get all the juices out. Discard what's left in the strainer or eat it with a spoon like I did because it's SO GOOD.
  5. Pour the boiling water into the raspberry mixture and stir to combine. Chill for several hours before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.
  6. I imagine this would be fantastic with a little champagne or sparkling white wine mixed in. Or if you really need something strong, vodka. :)

Adapted from Anne of Green Gables

This week’s #SundaySupper theme is movie inspired recipes, which means we’re cooking up foods from some of the most iconic and best loved movies of all time. We’ve got recipes inspired by Lady and the Tramp, Lord of the Rings, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the Princess Bride, Sixteen Candles, and a whole lot more.

Are you squealing yet?

Check it out!
Toast (bready things)

No Reservations (soups and salads)

Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)

Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)

Udon (pasta and noodles)

Just Desserts (sweet treats)

Bottle Shock (beverages)

• Jennie @themessybakerblog April 14, 2013, 8:42 AM

I love that you got into character. This raspberry cordial looks so refreshing and tasty!

• diabeticFoodie April 14, 2013, 8:54 AM

I’ve never seen the movie, but I remember reading the Anne of Green Gables book. Looks like your Mr. is a keeper 🙂

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 14, 2013, 8:37 PM

The books are great too! I actually didn’t read them until I was an adult, but I knew if they were half as good as the movie I would love them. And thank you, the Mr. is quite the catch. 🙂

• Life in the Slow Lane April 14, 2013, 12:24 PM

I bet that would make a good granita recipe.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 14, 2013, 8:37 PM

Ooo! I think you’re right! Let me know if you give it a try!

• Life in the Slow Lane April 17, 2013, 9:55 AM

I have just tried red grapefruit and pineapple, so far. Will put this on my list. You might check the blogger at Lanier’s Books. She just did a post on how much Lucy Maud Montgomery’s books mean to her. I haven’t read them for years, and gave the whole series to my niece a few years ago, but have fond memories.

You look very cute in the “wayback machine.” 🙂

• Laura Dembowski April 14, 2013, 12:25 PM

My mom, granny, and aunt all loved Anne of Green Gables and made me watch it all the time when I was a kid. I never much cared for it, but this post made me smile thinking about the good old days! My aunt also went to PEI and did all the associated activities.

• Heather S-G April 14, 2013, 1:32 PM

Oh my gosh, that’s hilarious – I need to find a copy! I remember Anne of Green Gables…and I think I’ve watched some before…but honestly, I don’t remember (for shame, for shame). I can see an afternoon in my future full of Anne and raspberry cordials, though!

• Renee Dobbs April 14, 2013, 2:10 PM

Please forgive me that I haven’t seen the movie or read the book. However, I really should after reading about it. And your cordial sounds like a lovely summer drink too.

• Chef Di April 14, 2013, 4:17 PM

What a fun post! And wow, pretty rare to see a Diana as a charachter… I will have to check this out! Not sure why I’ve never seen this or read the book, but I’m sure now I will love it! Thanks for sharing these and your fun photos and recipe!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 14, 2013, 8:36 PM

It’s definitely a classic in our house! Watch it with a good friend–it’s pretty long so it’s good to just cozy up and make a night of it.

• Liz April 14, 2013, 4:37 PM

What a vibrant, delicious drink! I can definitely see it as a cocktail!

• Shannon C April 14, 2013, 4:56 PM

Omg I remember that moment! I love these books and the movie. Your cordial is beautiful. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Tara April 14, 2013, 5:27 PM

Love your post, love anything Anne and even more so love that cordial!! Nicely done!!

• Megan Wood April 14, 2013, 5:51 PM

What a pretty drink!!! Great post 🙂

• Sarah R April 14, 2013, 7:52 PM

I love this drink! Had it in PEI too, delicious

• Hezzi-Ds Books&Cooks April 14, 2013, 8:08 PM

Love the photo of you as Anne! This drink sounds super refreshing and delicious.

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress) April 14, 2013, 9:45 PM

OMG that picture of you as Anne is too cute!! I never saw the movie for Anne of Green Gables but I did read the book! I love how refreshing and apropos this drink is!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 17, 2013, 9:36 PM

Thank you! The books are wonderful as well. I didn’t read them until I was adult, but I loved them just as much as I love the movie.

• Family Foodie April 15, 2013, 7:48 AM

What a great post! LOVE that you shared these pics with us! Too much fun!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 17, 2013, 9:37 PM

Thanks Isabel. It was such a fun theme, and it gave me an excuse to watch one of my favorite movies again.

• Rosie April 15, 2013, 4:59 PM

I love that this is inspired by Green Gables! Your raspberry cordial looks delicious, I love the photos!

• Constance April 16, 2013, 3:45 PM

Oh my heavens – when I read your recipe Anne Shirley jumped into my mind before I even saw what movie you were inspired by! I LOVED watching this mini-series when I was a kid (I forget who made it) and oh my goodness, I imagined myself to be Anne, with her red hair 🙂 LOL What a great pick, and what a great treat!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 17, 2013, 9:35 PM

So glad someone else shared my enthusiasm for Anne and all her antics. I always wished I could have red hair like Anne, even though she was always wishing hers away!

• Ricky August 24, 2013, 1:01 PM

Anne of Green Gables were the first books I bought in the US 25 years ago when I was an au pair and I still have them.

• Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) July 9, 2014, 9:16 AM

I have a confession. I cannot watch this movie without bawling like a little baby. But the bit with the raspberry cordial? Probably one of my favorite parts! So glad you recreated these. They make me think of my mom and how we used to watch the movie together. Thanks for sharing these!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood July 9, 2014, 9:29 AM

Me neither! I call it a “heart clutch” movie. It’s just SO good. I’m so glad you’re a fellow fan!

• Colleen (Souffle Bombay) July 15, 2014, 8:56 AM

I remember the exact moment that I was flipping channels, landed on PBS and caught the very beginning of the movie. I was 17-18, my parents were away for the weekend and I was home alone for the first time. I came upon the movie (never having heard of the book) and INSTANTLY fell in love with Anne, Gilbert and the whole cast! They showed both movies that day back to back…I literally was on the couch, spellbound for almost 8 hours! I can NO wait for the day I can sit there again with my daughter and bring her into Anne’s world (she turned 10 last week…maybe in 3 years). What a fun post!! To this day I am a Megan Follows fan – she was so spectacular in those movies that I love supporting any show she is in (actually she is wonderful in the CW show Reign) And how cool that you went to PEI! Looks like you too found your soulmate! Love it!! As for the cordial – gorgeous and I’d love to add in some Kettle One!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood July 15, 2014, 11:37 AM

This makes me so happy. I love meeting kindred spirits. 🙂 I have such fond memories of watching these movies with my mom when I was little. I’m sure it will be so special for your daughter too! Now I need to go check out Reign!

Next post: