Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks

It’s week three of Football Friday and I’ve got some easy, crispy, gooey Wonton Mozzarella Sticks to get your tailgating weekend started off right!

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks |
I never run into anyone I know at the grocery store…unless I decide to go in yoga pants and a greasy ponytail.

It. never. fails.

It’s like a law of science. Gross me + Quick Grocery Store Trip = Running Into People I Know2

Still, I always convince myself it’s going to be fine.

After all, I tell myself, you’re just going to run in real quick, grab what you need, then get out of there. Plus you NEVER run into anyone you know at the grocery store. Besides, showers are so overrated, and that T-shirt passed the sniff test so you’re good!

After thoroughly convincing my lazy self to avoid the normal morning ritual of, you know, cleansing thyself, I head to Kroger on a mission.

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks |

Inevitably, this is the day the WHOLE TOWN shops at Kroger. Friends you haven’t seen in weeks pop out of the aisles like a field of Jack in the Boxes. You spot them with their clean clothes and glossy lips and try to dodge into an aisle and avoid eye contact.

But trust me, they will find you staring at the frozen garlic bread and they will most definitely want to spend 20 minutes catching up on ALL THE THINGS while you stand there wondering if you brushed your teeth this morning and thinking about how little protection your yoga pants provide against the chill of the wall o’ freezers.

Next thing you know, there’s a new website called People of Kroger and it’s filled with pictures of that girl in the check out aisle with her mismatched socks, frizzy hair, and single bag of wonton wrappers.

Well, everything except the People of Kroger site. I don’t think that’s happened yet, but if it has,please don’t tell me. I prefer ignorance.

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks |

At least I got wonton wrappers out of the ordeal. After the “quick trip” turned into a frantic search through every conceivable section of the store and several awkward conversations with friends much cleaner than I, I finally found them in the refrigerated section of the produce section. Right at the front of the store. Of course.

Thankfully, melty cheese covers a multitude of embarrassments and after a few crispy, gooey, stringy mozzarella bites I was feeling much less like a complete disaster.

And, as it turns out, I ended up being thankful for that ratty T-shirt, because it absorbed the few grease splatters from the fry oil like a champ.

See? All things work out for the best.

At least, if cheese is involved.

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks |

A few quick notes on this recipe:

1) It’s delicious. Duh. It’s gooey, melted cheese and crispy pasta wraps.

2) The process for making these is surprisingly quick and easy. For a few good pictures on how to wrap them, I recommend checking out this tutorial at Heather Likes Food. She’s the one who came up with this totally brilliant idea. They only take 3 ingredients, you can wrap about 20 of them in 15 minutes, and since they only fry for 2 minutes, you can have these done in under a half hour.

3) I intended to make these as a side, but we ended up eating them for dinner on Wednesday. Please don’t judge us.

4) I tried baking these to appease that health conscience voice that’s somewhere deep inside me, but they just weren’t the same. Frying is definitely the way to go. I love using STAR grapeseed oil for frying.

5) Let’s all thank The Mr. for being my hand model for these. {not pictured: The Mr. asking every 5 minutes when he could eat them.}

6) In my head, I thought these would be perfect for tailgating, but in reality, they’re probably not the best for that environment. They’re at their prime when eaten straight out of the skillet when the cheese is still hot enough to burn your taste buds. So unless you want to spend your entire tailgating party standing by a skillet of hot oil, this might not be the best choice.

7) I’m posting this for Football Friday anyway. Did you guys really think I was going to go to the store to get ingredients to make something else after that debacle? Not. Gonna. Happen.

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks |

Have a great weekend everybody! May your team win and your grocery trips be free from embarrassments!

Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks
  • 8 string cheeses or about a 12 oz. block of cheese
  • 24 wonton wrappers (find them in the refrigerated area of the produce section!)
  • 1 egg white
  • About 1-2 cups oil, for frying (I used STAR grapeseed oil)
  • Sea Salt
  • Grated Parmesan
  • Marinara sauce- for dipping of course! :)
  1. Cut your string cheese into 3 equal pieces, or cut your block of cheese into 24 pieces that are about ½ an inch wide and 1½ inches long.
  2. Place a wonton wrapper in front of you in the shape of a diamond. Use a pastry brush to brush egg white on the surface of the wrapper. Place string cheese in the center. Fold in the north and south diamond corners then take the eastern corner and roll it around the cheese until the whole thing is completely covered. Seal up the corners. If the seals don't feel secure, brush with a little more egg white and press together. Repeat with remaining cheese and wrappers.
  3. Heat fry oil in a deep saute pan to about 375 degrees. Carefully drop mozzarella sticks into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and grated Parmesan. Serve HOT with warm marinara sauce for dipping.

Recipe adapted from Heather Likes Food

Looking for more fun tailgating appetizers? Check these out!

Waffle Fry Slider Burgers

Three Cheese Lasagna Dip

lasagna dip 1

Lightened Up Amish Peanut Butter

• Erin@WellPlated September 13, 2013, 12:16 AM

Too funny! I’ve totally been there. I think it’s a weird force of the universe.

• oven&apron September 14, 2013, 10:23 PM

I’ve been super excited to make these ever since I saw a version on Pinterest, and your version has inspired me even more! They look amazing. And I agree, what’s with the crazy laws of the universe that you’ll inevitably see someone you know when you’re looking less than your best? Ugh.

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 14, 2013, 10:23 PM

I totally get it – the one time you wear sweats and you run into someone familiar! It’s funny how life works like that.

Now these cheesy mozzarella sticks – yes! Had no idea you could use wonton wrappers!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 15, 2013, 10:53 AM

The wonton wrappers make it so easy! (As long as you can find them without running into everyone and their brother! 🙂

• Betsy Dowse September 16, 2013, 12:06 PM

I’ve made these a few times after having them at some festival we went too. SO good and SO easy. And I couldn’t find the darn wrappers either. The produce section is the last place I expected to find them.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 16, 2013, 4:49 PM

So glad I’m not the only one. I really went to every other section before finding them back at the beginning of the store.

• Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche September 16, 2013, 2:12 PM

These. Look. Amazing! I love that you topped them with even more cheese haha, totally something I would do! 😛

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 16, 2013, 4:49 PM

I know, right?! My hubby made fun of me, but he took it back once he tried them. 🙂

• Sarah C September 17, 2013, 12:09 PM

You crack me up!! The lack of “cleansing thyself” is something I join you in…

• Nancy September 17, 2013, 12:16 PM

This is another post that proves we’re the same person. Every.single.time I go to the grocery store, I have greasy hair in a ponytail, I’m in dirty sweats, and because I’m running around like a madwoman, hauling heavy ass grocery baskets because I can’t be bothered with a cart, I’m all sweaty, huffy and red. That’s what I look like when I run into the inevitable hordes of people that I know and want to avoid. I’d feel a lot better if I had these wonton mozza sticks waiting at home. Yaaaaaaasssssss to fried cheese!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 17, 2013, 12:43 PM

Oh Nancy the grocery baskets!!! How could I forget about the grocery baskets?! I’m just getting a few things, I tell myself. The cart will just slow me down! 1 bag of flour, four boxes of cereal, and a gallon of milk later…

• Julianne @ Beyond Frosting September 19, 2013, 1:29 AM

I want these right now!!!

• Julie September 20, 2013, 3:30 PM

1. Glad the Mr. had clean hands…just sayin’ … 2. IF you lived in your yoga pants all the time then people would be surprised WHEN you did have make up on…. 3. I cant judge anyone since I went into an off brand grocery store because I was too lazy to get lunch meat at a larger store – but that is where I found my deep discount deep fryer….will be making these this weekend since I told my daughter I was buying the deep fryer to make her cheese sticks. Thanks so much for not making me a liar anymore!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood October 28, 2013, 10:01 PM

I don’t know how I missed this comment, but I’m so glad I just found it. You cracked me up–especially about the Mr. having clean hands. Whew! I hope you all enjoyed the mozzarella sticks!

• Tammi January 18, 2014, 8:32 AM

Oh wow wow wow is all I have to say about these babies, have you ever tried baking them? I’m just wondering if it would work what do you think?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood January 18, 2014, 2:51 PM

Thanks Tammi! We LOVED them! I have actually tried baking them and I ended up with lots of cheese spillage. I think the frying helps everything cook faster so the cheese stays sealed in. If I could ensure better sealage, baking would probably work, but more experimenting on that front is definitely necessary!

• Lee Ann July 21, 2014, 11:28 PM

These were great! My family gobbled them up! Next time I’m going to have an Asian dipping sauce. Thanks so much!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood July 22, 2014, 9:26 AM

I’m so glad you liked them! An Asian dipping sauce is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to come back and comment!

• simplygloria1 March 20, 2015, 11:43 AM

I will most likely eat the whole batch if I’m left alone with them! 😉 It’s worth the risk.