This Easy Creamy Italian Pasta is as cozy and familiar as my favorite cardigan. You’ll want to eat it all fall and winter long.
This past weekend we finally finished up our bedroom remodel and moved all of our clothes over into our new closets. Can I just tell you how amazing it is to have extra closet space? This is a novelty to me. I could spend hours just sliding the clothes back and forth on the rod and marveling at how freely they move.
The process of transferring all of your clothes into a new space can be very revealing. It was somewhere between trip five and nine that I realized I have a serious cardigan problem. If I could, I would have a cardigan in every sleeve length, every color, with buttons and without, v-neck, crew neck, striped, polka dotted, and chevroned. I.love.cardigans. I don’t have a ton of clothes, but probably at least half of them are cardigans. After moving all my clothes, I told the Mr. to never let me buy another cardigan. I figure that plan will last until the next time I go to Target.
The good news is, the cooler weather means I have plenty of opportunities to break out my cardigan collection. I’m reveling in the cozy, creamy, comforty goodness of this season, and this Creamy Italian Pasta fits right in. This pasta recipe has been in our family for years, and it makes frequent appearances at family gatherings. The basics for this recipe involve only four simple ingredients: penne pasta, evaporated milk, Parmesan cheese, and an Italian seasoning packet. I don’t use a lot of seasoning packets in my cooking, but this pasta is an exception. It’s what gives it its unique flavor, and it just wouldn’t be Creamy Italian Pasta without it.
The pasta is delicious with just those four simple ingredients, but we usually like to dress it up with whatever odds and ends we have on hand. This bowl has graciously accepted our leftovers for years, incorporating everything from crab to rotisserie chicken to spinach to shrimp into its creamy embrace. But my favorite combo, and the one I find myself returning to, is this one with crispy bacon, mushrooms, and sliced cherry tomatoes. It’s cozy, simple, satisfying comfort food you can make in 30 minutes flat. So slip into your favorite cardigan, grab some forgotten veggies, and whip up your own bowl of creamy Italian pasta!
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) Italian dressing seasoning packet
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and return to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, fry the bacon in a large skillet. When the bacon is crispy, remove it from the skillet and place it on a paper towel lined plate. Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of grease from the skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until softened.
- When the pasta is finished, add the evaporated milk, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning packet, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the mushrooms and halved cherry tomatoes. Serve the pasta with crumbled cooked bacon on top.
Recipe by NeighborFood