After five years of marriage, I’ve learned if I want the Mr. to eat kale, I’m going to have to tempt him with something he really loves. In the case of this Creamy Kale, Sweet Potato, and Sausage Soup, I’ve roped him in with bacon AND sausage. Hook, line, and sinker.
This past week I experienced the first cold of the dreaded cold and flu season. For me, the worst part about having a cold isn’t the restless sleep, the nose rubbed raw by Kleenex, or the inability to swallow anything thicker than broth. It’s the not being able to taste anything that really gets me. I sipped on hot tea and chicken noodle soup for several days, but it brought me little comfort. For all I knew, it tasted like grass and tree bark. I couldn’t even smell the lemon and honey I stirred into my tea or the pungent garlic I added in handfuls to the soup. For those few days, food was merely nourishment, a necessary evil to endure, not enjoy.
Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to get back in the kitchen this weekend. This soup was my first venture post-cold and turned out to be exactly what I needed. This soup is actually a riff on Zuppa Toscano, a creamy Italian soup loaded with bacon, white potatoes, sausage, and some kind of green. I’ve been wanting to do a riff on Zuppa Toscano for awhile now, but using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Sweet potatoes and sausage are a terrific pair, so I figured the flavors would work well against the backdrop of a creamy, garlicky soup.
Thankfully, it didn’t let me down! This soup is creamy, rich, and satisfying, but it also delivers a boatload of good-for-you nutrients in the kale and sweet potatoes. And the flavor is a definite step up from plain chicken and noodle. Robust and zesty, with just the right amount of sinus-clearing heat from a pinch of red pepper flakes, this soup will have your tastebuds singing after very bite.
All said, the recipe will take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, and there’ll be plenty of time in the middle to catch up on laundry or obsessively read a few more chapters in that novel you’re dying to finish. Finish each bowl with a sprinkle of crumbled bacon, and I promise even the kale haters will slurp this down and beg for seconds.
P.S. You still have one more day to enter the Harvestland chicken giveaway! Click here to enter!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large or 3 small sweet potatoes, halved and sliced into thin half moons
- 3 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- Fat pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the bacon pieces and cook until crisped, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spatula or spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Add the onion and sausage to the pot, using your spatula to crumble the sausage. Cook until no pink remains then drain the excess fat from the pot. Add the garlic and chicken broth to the pot, increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook until wilted, an additional 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in cream and red pepper flakes. Heat through and serve with crumbled bacon on top.
Recipe by NeighborFood