These Apple Oatmeal Muffins are lightly sweetened with honey and spiced with cinnamon for a satisfying and convenient fall breakfast.
Since my little man started eating solid foods, I have developed a new appreciation for the humble muffin. Muffins don’t get a lot of attention in the breakfast world. To be honest, it’s tough to stand out in a meal that includes pancakes, omelets, french toast casseroles, and, of course, bacon. The breakfast table is a competitive place, but a good muffin can hold its own amidst the stiffest breakfast competition. Truly, what other breakfast item boasts so many endearing traits? The muffin is portable, convenient, easily made in advance, requires no utensils, and, if made right, can pack a wallop of good things in one hand held package.
These Honey Apple Muffins are responsible for changing my mind about muffins. The combination of honey, diced apples, and cinnamon is a match made in Autumn heaven. Subtly sweet with warm spices, you’ll want to grab a cup of coffee and linger over these muffins, but they’re also perfect for those crazy school mornings when the kids can’t find their shoes and the bus is honking at the end of the driveway. The little guy and I have been enjoying them for breakfast, and I also love packing them in a diaper bag in case we have a snack attack. Packed with oats, whole wheat flour, fresh apples, and lightly sweetened with honey, these muffins are a hearty snack my whole family enjoys.
I recommend making a batch of these and serving them warm for an after school snack. While these are sweet enough as is, it’s a special treat to drizzle the warm muffins with honey before serving. The honey fills in all the nooks and crannies, making a sticky sweet mess (and I mean that in the very best kind of way). You can freeze any leftover muffins to have on hand for especially busy days. They thaw in about an hour on the counter top or you can microwave them for about 30 seconds from frozen.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups thinly diced apples
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, honey, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add the apples and oats to the bowl and gently fold them in.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups (it'll be about ¼ cup in each one). Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe was developed in partnership with The National Honey Board. Thank you for supporting the brands who keep this blog afloat!