The Mr.’s birthday was last weekend which meant three things were bound to happen:
2. An ice cream cake.
3. A crock pot full of bacon-wrapped smokies, or as we lovingly refer to them- Meat Candy.
Be warned scoffers! These are totally irresistible. Girls everywhere have gone weak in the knees after taking that first doubting, judgmental bite. You’ll want a second, and a third, and almost assuredly a fourth and fifth. And before you know it you’ll find yourself laying on the couch surrounded by toothpicks with crystallized bacon sugar all over your face.
Hey, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
P.S. These may just be the perfect accompaniment to some upcoming madness…if you know what I mean. *Cough* Go Bucks! *Cough*
Yield: about 50 candies
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
1 lb. bacon (I find a thinner sliced bacon works best for this. Try to get long strips of bacon…it makes for easier wrapping)
1 package Lit’l Smokies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the bacon strips into thirds.
3. Wrap one (third) piece bacon around one Smokie and secure with toothpick. Place on foil lined baking sheet. Repeat until Smokies and/or bacon runs out.
4. Smother with brown sugar. Really. Don’t measure, just pour it on. Just make sure all the pieces have a good amount of brown sugar on them.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bacon is cooked through and crispy. Serve immediately OR keep warm by pouring a thin layer of maple syrup on the bottom of a crockpot, set on WARM, and layer meat candy on top.