Posted by https://neighborfoodblog.com/2013/06/angel-food-french-toast-with-blueberry-lemon-sauce-for-sundaysupper.html
© 2013 NeighborFood. All rights reserved.
Angel Food French Toast with Blueberry Lemon Sauce for #SundaySupper
- 1 store bought angel food cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the angel food:
- In a shallow medium sized bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Slice the angel food cake into 10-12 slices, depending on your preferred thickness.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place a dollop of vegetable oil in the pan and wait until it shimmers and is very liquidy. That's how you know it's good and hot!
- Dip the slices of angel food cake in the egg mixture, being sure to generously coat both sides. Place the slices directly in the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining slices.
- For the sauce:
- Place blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and cornstarch in a sauce pan and stir together. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened and blueberries have begun to break down. I prefer to leave my blueberries whole, but you can feel free to smash them at this point.
- Serve cooked angel food slices with several spoonfuls of blueberry sauce and a swirl of whipped cream, if desired.
Loading nutrition data...