Tomato Bacon Jam

Sweet and smoky, this tomato bacon jam is like a surprise party for your tastebuds.

Tomato Bacon Jam |

I know, I know. We’ve all moved on. We’re in fall mode. How dare I bring you something that isn’t A) Made in a slow cooker. B) A casserole C) Caramel Apple flavored or D) Pumpkin anything.

But guys, there are still tomatoes in my garden.

They obviously haven’t gotten the memo. They could care less that it’s 60 degrees and the leaves are changing. They’re churning out tomatoes like it’s August 15th.

Clearly, something had to be done.

And it couldn’t be tomato sauce. Or caprese anything.

Dear Lord, I can’t eat any more caprese.

Soooo…tomato jam it is.

Yep, you read that right. Tomato…jam.

Is that totally weird or what?!

I thought it was. But then I found a recipe for Tomato Bacon Jam, and suddenly I was all in.

Bacon has a funny way of winning hearts and minds.

Tomato Bacon Jam |

Long before this blog ever started I made a tomato and onion jam completely on a whim. It sounded interesting, I was only working part time at the time, and heck, what else was I going to do with a spare afternoon except make jam out of tomatoes?

The joke was on me, because the stuff turned out to be freaking delicious. It was sticky and sweet and surprisingly addictive. It was the kind of dish that’s better than it should be, the kind that has this inexplicable goodness that makes you fall in love with this crazy thing called cooking.

I may be all caprese-d out, but I can totally get down on some rich, thick, tomato jam. Especially if it has bacon.

Tomato Bacon Jam |

This recipe isn’t complicated, it just takes some time. Tomatoes don’t enter the jam world willingly. They have to be babied into it, coddled by low heat for a good hour before easing into jam status.

But for the most part, that slow cooking is totally hands off. You can give it a stir here or there, but if you just leave that pot of tomatoes and bacon alone, it’ll turn into jam before you have a chance to finish that pumpkin roll you’re working on.

How does it taste, you ask?

Well, that’s a darn good question. It’s like caramelized tomatoes–richer, sweeter, and more mellow than their fresh counterparts, with a smoky, savory flavor added from the bacon. A little vinegar and mustard balance out the sweetness and add just the right amount of subtle ang.

In a word, it tastes…delecta-yum-alicious.

Tomato Bacon Jam |

You can put this stuff on just about anything. Smear it on a cracker. Add it to a cheese plate. Spread it on a grilled cheese (No seriously, put it on a grilled cheese!!)

Slap some of this on a biscuit with some goat cheese and a fried egg and tell me it’s not one of the best breakfast sandwiches you’ve ever had.

Go ahead, tell me.

• 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • Dash cayenne pepper

1. Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use tongs to remove the bacon from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
  2. Drain all but 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add the chopped onion to the skillet, making sure to scrape off any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook onion until translucent, 4-6 minutes.
  3. Crumble the bacon and add it back to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients. Stir everything together. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer mixture for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick. Serve warm or cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge. You can put this stuff on everything: waffles, biscuits, crackers, egg sandwiches, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, a spoon. The mixture makes about 2 cups and will stay good in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

Loading nutrition data...

Thanks for cooking with me today!

If you made this, I'd love for you to share a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, and don't forget to join the NeighborFood communityΒ to get recipes, meal plans, and a special members-only newsletter delivered straight to your inbox!

Recipe by Neighborfood

• Liz September 24, 2013, 11:57 AM

Wow, your tomato jam looks terrific. I can see pouring it over cream cheese for a yummy appetizer!!!

• TamraLS September 24, 2013, 12:28 PM

Looks awesome. When you you put the bacon back in it? Or do you?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

Hi Tamra! Sorry about that. You put the bacon back in when you add the tomatoes and all the other ingredients. I’ve changed the recipe to include it now! Thanks for the catch!

• littleredkitchen September 24, 2013, 1:36 PM

I still have plenty of tomatoes at home too! The crops came in late to my CSA and I’m basking in all the tomato glory. Off to make tomato bacon jam. . . .

• Jody Bennon September 25, 2013, 5:44 AM

I hadn’t stopped over here in awhile to check in in your little corner of the blogosphere and I have to say, you’re like, a celebrity blogger these days, Court! Your writing style and recipes are amazing! And I think I may just have to try this jam out with my late crop of tomatoes I just picked πŸ™‚

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 25, 2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks Jody! That means a lot. πŸ™‚ It’s nice to get the perspective of someone who saw my very humble beginnings. Sometimes it feels like progress is so slow, but I’m glad you see a difference!

• Erin@WellPlated September 25, 2013, 2:06 PM

Girl, keep the tomatoes coming!! I’m hoarding them like crazy before winter hits. This jam looks fantastic!

• Dixie Chik September 26, 2013, 6:11 AM

Genius! I want some for breakfast πŸ˜‰

• Stacy September 26, 2013, 11:30 PM

I make a spicy tomato chutney that we eat on EVERY THING, so I know I would love this jam, Courtney. Because BACON! Oh, my goodness, I could eat it with a spoon!

• Heathernoel October 16, 2013, 6:09 PM

Is there a way to make this more savory than sweet? I was thinking of making it and putting it on chicken or in a roasted pork taco. Savory or even spicy would be amazing. Do you have any suggestions? This looks amazing as is I must say.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood October 17, 2013, 10:48 AM

Hmmm…the tomatoes will have a natural sweetness when they cook down, but you could definitely eliminate some or all of the sugar to make it less “jammy”. I think Sriracha would add some great smoky heat to this as well. You could also add chili powder

• Patsy Shomers September 1, 2014, 7:56 AM

I’m going to try pressure canning this recipe so there’s plenty on hand for those snowy winter days!

• disqus_6TegG1nJzQ September 28, 2014, 7:43 AM

I’m definitely going to try this! Everything is better with bacon!

• Marcia Little September 28, 2014, 2:34 PM

• Patsy Shomers October 1, 2014, 12:50 AM

My tomato bacon jam turned out wonderful, after pressure canning. I did 12 pints and the flavor is excellent. Now we can enjoy it all winter. We love it with pot roast. MMMMmmm, yummy!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood October 2, 2014, 10:28 PM

I’m so glad this turned out for you and so jealous you’ve got a winter stash! That will be the best!

• Cathy March 29, 2015, 7:33 PM

So glad to read this. I just made some and would love to can it but was not sure if you could.

• lindsay cox June 5, 2015, 3:03 PM

So you were able to can this even with the meat? A friend and I were wondering if this was something you are able to can. Would you be willing to share how you did it?

• Patsy Shomers June 8, 2015, 1:32 AM

If you want to can this recipe for your storage, simply pressure can it, pints 75 mins., quarts 90 mins., using the hot pack method. I didn’t change anything in the recipe. Pressure canning is necessary due to the bacon.

• Adrianna September 4, 2017, 7:32 PM

How long did you can it and using what pressure. I have a one pot and don’t know if I can use that to pressure can it. Thanks!

• Patsy Shomers March 31, 2015, 4:23 PM

Well, we finished all my canned Tomato Bacon Jam made last Fall. Can’t wait for tomatoes this year. I’m going to can twice as much so we don’tru n out through next winter. This is the best recipe ever!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 6, 2015, 10:23 AM

That’s so great Patsy! It won’t be too long now before our kitchens are flooded with tomatoes. πŸ™‚

Β© 2015 NeighborFood | Privacy Policy | Designed by Snazzle Media | Development by A LA MODE designs