Make these sweet and savory Waffled Cranberry Cream Cheese Turkey Sandwiches with your Thanksgiving leftovers.
Normally I have no trouble devouring Thanksgiving leftovers within a few days. Between stuffing topped with a fried egg, mashed potato bowls, and pie for breakfast (obviously), we usually have those leftovers polished off in no time.
But this year I enjoyed a total of 4 different Thanksgiving dinners, each of which came with leftovers. Don’t hear this as a complaint. I mean, I LOVE a good leftover turkey sandwich on a Hawaiian roll with some Miracle Whip.
But come Friday, I was over it. If we had any hope of finishing up those turkey leftovers, the sandwich was going to have to be reinvented.
So reinvent we did–in the form of waffles, cream cheese, and leftover cranberry pear sauce.
Consider this a Thanksgiving makeover of the classic Monte Cristo. Crispy waffles sandwich a sweet and tangy cranberry cream cheese filling, turkey leftovers, and a bite of peppery arugula. Finished off with a little powdered sugar, these sandwiches are pretty enough to serve for a fancy brunch, but simple enough to enjoy for a lazy lunch.
For those of you who get all weird when your meat and your fruit mix, I beg you, give this sandwich a try. The Mr. hates when fruit invades his savory food. Hawaiian pizza? No. Cranberry pork chops? No. And God forbid someone slip some mandarin oranges into his salad.
But even the fruit hater had to admit he enjoyed this sweet and savory sandwich.
A few notes on how this all comes together:
I was really excited to find this recipe for whole wheat waffles from Faux Martha. They’re light and fluffy with a crispy exterior that’s sturdy enough to hold onto your sandwich fixins.
This batter makes 6 waffles, which is enough for 12 sandwiches. If you’re not looking to feed a crowd, you can freeze any leftovers for a quick and easy breakfast.
I’ve left the amounts for all the sandwich fillings blank, since it will depend on how many sandwiches you’d like to make. As a guide, I used one 8 oz. block of cream cheese and about 1 cup cranberry sauce to make all 12 sandwiches.
You can serve these at room temperature, but I prefer to assemble them then warm them up just a bit in the oven until everything kind of melts together. Perfection.
Today’s #SundaySupper has got you covered–from blankets of frosting and cheese, to recipes for gluten free desserts, no bake sweets, and ways to use leftovers– we’ve got you covered! Check out all the recipes below!
For the waffles:
For the sandwiches:
For the waffles:
For the sandwiches:
Recipe by Neighborfood
Covered Appetizers and Entreés
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Personal Steak Pot Pies from The Foodie Army Wife
- Slowcooker Bean and Ham Soup from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash & Cheddar Potatoes Au Gratin from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Salmon en Croute from Curious Cuisiniere
- Excellent Beef Stew from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy from Food Lust People Love
- Pigs in a Blanket (Cabbage Rolls) from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Frosting from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Streusel Topped Apple Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dark Chocolate Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chocolate Satin Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Banana Butterscotch Muffin-Cake from What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Banoffee Pie from Happy Baking Days
- 1 Easy Chocolate Macaron Recipe, 3 Japanese Wine Fillings from NinjaBaking.com
- Chocolate Covered “Party Popcorn” from Ruffles & Truffles
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake from Pies and Plots
Not Sure What To Do? We Got You Covered
- Cilantro Turkey Salad with Farro and Mango from Shockingly Delicious covering turkey leftovers
- Back to Basics: How to Truss a Chicken for Roasting from Crazy Foodie Stunts covering a cooking technique
- Peppermint Whip Cream from Peanut Butter and Peppers covering a vegan and dairy-free dessert topping
- Gluten Free Lego Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks covering a gluten-free dessert
- Mexican Coffee Bun from The Urban Mrs covering a dessert with an uncommon ingredient
- Cranberry Walnut Crumble Bars from Magnolia Days covering an idea for fresh cranberries
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars from Alida’s Kitchen covering a quick and easy cheesecake fix
- Prosciutto covered Rosemary Pork from Family Foodie covering a holiday meal on a budget
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix from Treats & Trinkets covering a cake mix without the chemicals from store-bought ones
- Waffled Cranberry Cream Cheese Turkey Sandwiches from Neighborfood covering turkey leftovers
- Apple Cider Doughnuts from The Texan New Yorker covering a dish made at home so you don’t need to wait in long lines for it
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.