Crispy, golden churros rolled in cinnamon and sugar and dunked in a creamy dark chocolate sauce.
Today we’re celebrating #SundaySupper’s 2nd Birthday! It’s hard to believe what started as a simple vision to bring families back to their dinner tables has turned into a weekly movement including bloggers from all over the world. Isabel of Family Foodie started #SundaySupper two years ago, and her vision and passion have helped it grow into what it is today.
Interestingly enough, it’s also been almost exactly 1 year since I joined #SundaySupper with this Retro-Inspired Tater Tot Casserole. I knew something was different about this group as soon as I woke up that first Sunday morning. My blog was still very small at the time, and I had only recently switched over to a new site. I remember laying in bed reading my emails (bad habit, I know) and being thrilled to find several people had already commented on my blog at 8 AM. I knew right then this was a very special group of people.
Since that first Sunday, I’ve received so much support and encouragement from this talented group of bloggers. This is a group that sticks together, champions each other, and motivates one another to improve our craft. I couldn’t be more excited to share this birthday celebration with such a precious group of people.
This week’s frozen temperatures gave me a few extra days off work and More time + Being locked in the house + A birthday to celebrate could only equal one thing: Homemade Churros.
If your only experience with churros has been the lukewarm sticks-in-a-paper-sleeve you get at Taco Bell, please erase that from your memory. These Churros are worlds better than those. Each bite yields first the sweet cinnamon spice, then the crispy dough, then the melt in your mouth tender center. Served piping hot from the fryer, the Mr. deemed these “dangerously good.” And indeed they were. I ate so many of them I had to skip lunch (or, rather, I had to accept the fact I had just eaten churros for lunch).
While frying these does require an extra time commitment, the dough is actually very easy to make. It can be whipped together in about 15 minutes then fried right away or refrigerated and fried later. I liked splitting the batch and frying just enough for us to eat while they were super hot and fresh. If you want to get the fancy edges, simply place the dough in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and squeeze out about 4 inches of dough before cutting it off with scissors into the hot oil. I made my churros mini-sized because I think they’re adorable and because I’ve heard mini things don’t have calories.
Of course, no birthday celebration would be complete without a little chocolate. The chocolate sauce for this takes about 10 minutes to make and is the perfect compliment to the churros. Creamy and not-too-sweet, it’ll have you swooning with every bite.
Be sure to check out all the other birthday dishes my #SundaySupper friends are sharing today!
For the churros:
For the chocolate sauce:
For the churros:
For the chocolate sauce:
Recipe adapted from The Food Network
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting from The Texan New Yorker
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bites from The Foodie Army Wife
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.