In the latest addition of Stuff I’ve Googled, we’re covering leftover egg yolk recipes. If you’ve spent any amount of time baking or cooking, I’m sure you’ve experienced this conundrum. You made Peanut Butter Meringue Pie or an egg white omelet or Almond Joy Cookies, and now you’re left with a bowl full of sunny egg yolks.
In this post we’ll cover how to store and use egg yolks in a variety of recipes, so whether you have one or six leftover egg yolks, you can be certain they’ll be put to good use!
What are egg yolks used for?
Egg yolks are great for adding richness to everything from pasta to ice cream to breads. An extra egg yolk is also the secret ingredient to irresistibly chewy cookies.
Don’t feel like turning on the oven? Use those extra egg yolks to make your own mayonnaise or hollandaise sauce.
I’ve even included a recipe for hair superfood, because, let’s face it, who couldn’t use a little extra shine after these brutal winter days?
Can you refrigerate egg yolks?
Absolutely. Leftover raw egg yolks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you can avoid breaking the yolk, it’s always nice to store them whole so you can see how many you have. (Pssst- an egg separator can help with this).
Otherwise, be sure to mark how many yolks are in the container before refrigerating.
Unfortunately, egg yolks do not freeze well, so I recommend storing them in the fridge and using them within a few days!
Recipes to Use Up Egg Yolks
Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars from Handle the Heat
Recipes Using 1 Egg Yolk
- The Best Chocolate Bundt Cake from NeighborFood
- Giant Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies from NeighborFood
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies from NeighborFood
- Cajun Burgers from NeighborFood
- Cake Batter Sugar Cookies from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream from Baked Bree
- Three Cheese Mac and Cheese from Cook Like a Champion
- Macaroon Kisses from Chef in Training
- Peanut Butter Snickers Brownie Skillet from Picky Palate
- Spa In the Kitchen- Hair Superfood from Our Best Bites
- Red Velvet Crepes from Tidy Mom
- Lemon Pasta Salad from Created By Diane
Challah Bread from The Novice Chef
Recipes Using 2 Egg Yolks
- Lemon Rosemary Butter Cookies from NeighborFood
- Homemade mayonnaise from The Perfect Pantry
- Eggnog cookies from Recipe Girl
- Triple Chocolate Mousse from Kitchen Confidante
- S’mores Ice Cream from Homemade in the Kitchen
- Creamy Angel Hair Carbonara from The Noshery
Crepe Suzette Crepe Cake from Pineapple and Coconut
Recipes Using 3 Egg Yolks
- Homemade Egg Noodles from NeighborFood
- Tiramisu from The Comfort of Cooking
- Easy Blender Hollandaise Sauce from Just a Pinch
- Tiramisu Brownie Parfaits
- Bearnaise Sauce from The Novice Chef
- Country Eggs Benedict from Lana’s Cooking
- Double Chocolate Almond Macaroons from Love and Olive Oil
- Strawberry Paczki from NeighborFood
Peanut Butter Pudding from I Wash You Dry
Recipes Using 4 Egg Yolks
- Linguine Alla Carbonara from Simply Scratch
- Easy No Bake Creme Brulee from Completely Delicious
- Banana Pudding from Eat 2 Gather
- Italian Cream Puffs with Custard Filling from Eats Well With Others
- Olive Garden Copy Cat Alfredo Sauce from The Slow Roasted Italian
- Key Lime Pie from I Wash You Dry
- Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse from Bran Appetit
- Prosciutto and Asparagus Eggs Benedict from bell’alimento
- Peaches and Cream Ice Pops from The Slow Roasted Italian
Homemade Lemon Curd from Daring Gourmet
Recipes Using 5 Egg Yolks
- Coconut Cream Pie from Add a Pinch
- Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream from Country Cleaver
- Classic Homemade Eggnog from Simple Bites
- Crab Eggs Benedict from Country Cleaver
- Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream from Foodie Misadventures
- White Chocolate Lemon Mousse from Baked Bree
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream from The Novice Chef
Greek Lemon Soup with Chicken and Orzo from Love and Olive Oil
Recipes Using 6 Egg Yolks
- Egg Yolk Cookies from Roxanna’s Home Baking
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream from Lauren’s Latest
- Cappuccino Creme Brulee from A Farm Girl’s Dabbles
- Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce from Two Peas and their Pod
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream from Cooking LSL
Have the same problem but with egg whites instead? Be sure to check out my collection of 50 egg whites recipes!