Buttery, lemony, and silky Hollandaise Sauce is a brunch staple and easier to make than you might think! All you need is a few common ingredients and 10 minutes to make this easy hollandaise recipe!
For years I avoided making hollandaise sauce, assuming it was far too fussy and complicated for an average Saturday morning.
When I finally mustered the courage to give it a try, I felt silly I had waited so long. This recipe doesn’t require any special ingredients, equipment, or training. If you have a pot, a whisk, and 10 minutes, you can make this buttery, luscious hollandaise recipe.
That’s right, my friends, you can make all your brunch dreams come true with just a few simple ingredients and a little muscle. And, (bonus!), all that whisking basically counts as a workout!
Whether you’re making Everything Bagel Eggs Benedict or want to zhoosh up some veggies, this hollandaise recipe is one you’ll make over and over again!
Ingredients in Hollandaise Sauce
Basic hollandaise sauce is comprised of 4 main ingredients:
- Egg yolks
- Fresh Lemon Juice
These ingredients alone make a silky, flavorful sauce, but I love to add a few other flavors depending on my mood or the dish I’m serving it with. Some of my favorites are:
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fresh herbs, such as dill, basil, or chives
How to Make Easy Hollandaise Sauce on the Stove Top
While homemade hollandaise can sound intimidating, this stove top version is quick, painless, and almost foolproof.
The biggest tip I can give you: DON’T LEAVE THE SAUCE ALONE. Once you’ve turned the heat on, you’ll need to whisk constantly. The sauce will be done in 5 minutes, but it demands your full attention for those minutes.
Have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, then proceed:
- Combine 3 egg yolks, 2 Tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over low heat. (As low as the burner will go, at least on my stove).
- Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until the eggs are light in color, foamy, and slightly thickened. This will take anywhere from 3-5 minutes. The important thing is to keep the eggs moving so they don’t set.
- Add 6 Tablespoons butter, a tablespoon or two at a time, whisking together until melted and well combined.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon juice. Taste, then add salt, cayenne, mustard, or herbs as desired. Serve.
Troubleshooting and FAQS
My eggs curdled! What do I do?
If at any point you notice the eggs are beginning to set, immediately remove the pan from heat and whisk like crazy for a minute until smooth again. Return to heat and continue with the recipe.
How to keep hollandaise sauce warm
If the sauce is done before the rest of your breakfast is, keep it warm by placing it in a heat proof bowl or pitcher, covering it with saran wrap or a lid, and nesting it inside a bowl of very hot water.
Hollandaise sauce will keep warm this way for 30-45 minutes, though you’ll need to change out the water with fresh hot water after 20 minutes. Whisk together well before serving.
Can you make hollandaise ahead of time?
This sauce is best served fresh, but you can prepare it up to 24 hours in advance if needed. Cover and refrigerate the sauce, then reheat in a double boiler (one bowl on top of a simmering pot of water), whisking constantly until warmed.
Hollandaise Sauce Uses
Hollandaise sauce is probably best known as one of the key ingredients in Eggs Benedict, but it’s also wonderful on a variety of other dishes.
- 3 egg yolks
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- Place the egg yolks, 2 Tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt in a small sauce pan. Turn the heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until the eggs are lightened in color, foamy, and slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, a Tablespoon or two at a time, whisking well until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and taste. Adjust seasonings, adding cayenne and dijon if desired. Serve immediately or keep warm in a pitcher set in a bowl of very hot water for up to 30 minutes.
See post above for troubleshooting and tips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 39mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.