This savory ham salad has just a hint of bite from wasabi powder and makes a great sandwich or dip!
Are you ever just tired?
Oh, yeah. Ummm, me neither. I am always bubbling over with positive energy. I never pick up takeout on the way home from work or put off doing the laundry until I have no clean underwear left.
Ahem. Lies. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The truth is, sometimes cooking dinner feels like attempting to climb Mt. Everest. After a long day of (answering angry phone calls, listening to screaming children, insert other stressor here), the last thing I feel like doing is making dinner.
But the second truth is, caving in and getting fast food only makes me feel worse. Then I have guilt + burger belly. Not a good combo.
That’s why I am so excited about this week’s #SundaySupper theme, 5 Ingredients or Less.
That’s right. All of today’s recipes have 5 or fewer ingredients, so you can make dinner on the worst of days.
I tend to forget about good ol’ salad recipes, but they’re a great way to use up leftover meats and a cinch to throw together. This ham salad was a natural fit for all our Easter leftovers since it uses both ham and hard boiled eggs.
But what makes this ham so special is the combination of cream cheese and wasabi.
Weirded out yet?
Don’t be. This recipe was inspired by my recent Ohio Egg Adventure, where our host treated us to a Chopped-style deviled egg-stravaganza. He gave each of the bloggers in attendance a $10 budget and charged us with finding a unique ingredient he would be forced to use to make deviled eggs. We wondered the aisles of the North Market, looking for just the thing. I quickly got sucked into the spice shop, where I simply couldn’t stop thinking about the wasabi powder. The idea of wasabi eggs was just too intriguing.
Thankfully, I was not disappointed. Our fearless leader grabbed that wasabi, stirred it into a mixture of cream cheese and hardened egg yolks, added a few glugs of Green Machine Smoothie (yes, you heard right. It was Melanie Make’s contribution!), and piped out one heck of a deviled egg. He finished each serving with a small cube of ham, and the combination was…well…surprisingly tasty.
The wasabi added a fantastic bite, similar to horseradish but a bit mellower, and the cream cheese made for an exceptionally creamy deviled egg. Needless to say, I was impressed.
I decided to use these same elements to make ham salad (minus the Green Smoothie-sorry Melanie!), and the flavors translated perfectly. The tangy-hot zest of wasabi will keep you coming back for bite after bite. Great served with chips, on a big fluffy onion roll, or as a dip with crackers and veggies, this 5 ingredient wonder should be a regular on your post-holiday menu.
Definitely take some time to check out all of the 5 Ingredient Recipes my #SundaySupper friends have brought to the table today, and save them for one of those I-can’t-imagine-cooking-dinner days.
Note: If you’re having trouble finding wasabi powder in grocery stores, you can buy it on Amazon here.
Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons wasabi powder, depending on the amount of heat you like
- Stir together the ham and softened cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the celery, eggs, and wasabi powder. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve as a sandwich or with crackers or chips for dipping.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 224kcal Calories from fat 141|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe by Neighborfood
Blogger Disclosure: This post may include links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com. The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program provides means for sites like mine to earn advertising fees by sharing the products we love. Thank you for supporting Neighborfood when you shop at Amazon!
Appetizers, Salads and Starters
- Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Tuna, Burrata and Black Olive Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon and Cucumber “Noodle” Salad from girlichef
- Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip from Melanie Makes
- Tomato, Avocado and Cucumber Summer Salad from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Fennel Citrus Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Ruffles and Truffles
- Tomato Soup from Run DMT
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad from Neighborfood
- Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Caviar from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Sides and Accompaniments
- Candied Apple Jelly from What Smells So Good?
- Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub from Cooking Chat
- Homemade Ricotta from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Indian-style Roasted Cauliflower from kimchi MOM
- 3-Ingredient Beer Bread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Potato Pancakes (Reibekuchen) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Turkey Half Breast from Nosh My Way
- Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken from Flour On My Face
- Lemon Basil Carbonara from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Garlic Butter Shrimp from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Stroganoff from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Smothered Pork Chop Cups from Having Fun Saving
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Supper for a Steal
- Chicken with Olives from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Chicken Burgers from Country Girl In The Village
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken from Our Table for Seven
- Chorizo and Potato Frittata from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups from The Dinner-Mom
- Spaghetti Squash with Simple Red Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Tropical Salsa Chicken from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Strawberry Red Wine Glazed Salmon from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Asparagus and Eggs from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Short Rib Bourguignon from Food Lust People Love
- Beans and Egg Sandwich from Basic N Delicious
- Honey Almond Salmon from Family Foodie
- BBQ Foiled Chicken from Meal Diva
Desserts and Beverages
- Flourless Chocolate Cake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- 4-Ingredient Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sweets from Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Honey Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles from URBAN BAKES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Squares from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Nutella Ferrero Cupcakes from Brunch with Joy
- 5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Best Ever Coconut Macaroons from Hip Foodie Mom
- Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Orchid Panna Cotta from Manu’s Menu
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Fudge from Alida’s Kitchen
- Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Vanilla Pudding from Magnolia Days
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bites from The Weekend Gourmet
- Coconut Cream Mango Mousse from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cherry Chip Cookies from Ninja Baking
- Raspberry Pina Colada Ice Cream from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Avocado Milkshakes from The Texan New Yorker
- The Ginger Sass Cocktail from Nik Snacks
- Baked Custard Cups from Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.