Warm up with a big bowl of this fragrant and spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup. Just a sniff of this flavorful broth will chase away winter’s chill.
Today marks the last day of both Slow Cooker January and Souper Bowl Week here on the blog. My little slow cooker has gotten quite the workout these last few weeks, and I’m happy to say it’s still going strong. I’m sure it’ll still be making plenty of cameos here in the coming months, but let’s face it, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I’m ready to tuck the slow cooker away and sample the heck out of some chocolate recipes.
But today we’re going to celebrate a fantastic month with one final soup-er delicious, easy, healthy meal you can prepare any night of the week. I love a good old fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup, but spiking it with the warm, tingly goodness of ginger, Sriracha, and red curry paste really ups the ante. This is one sinus clearing, cold-fighting, flu-beating soup.
All the goodness starts with the broth. Chicken, carrots, snow peas, bell peppers, and shiitake mushrooms simmer all day in a spicy broth. The warm broth is ladled over tangly gluten free rice noodles and then loaded up with toppings. Now, most of the time toppings are sort of an after thought–something you throw in if you happen to have it on hand or can spare the extra minutes to prepare it.
Not so with this soup. These toppings are non-optional, because they’re really what makes this soup’s flavor so complex and satisfying. It starts with a good sprinkling of cilantro, mint and, green onions, which brings a wonderful freshness to the rich, savory broth. Then comes a squeeze of lime to temper the heat, and, if you’re daring, a few slices of jalapeno to really get those sinuses cleared!
As far as Asian soups go, this one is right up there with my all time favorite Pho Bo. In fact, the Mr. said he liked this one even better. I’m not quite ready to declare a winner, but I know this Asian Chicken Noodle Soup will be making plenty more appearances in our house this year.
With Souper Bowl Week coming to a close, there’s only a few more days to enter our Le Creuset French Oven Giveaway. This piece is so versatile. It works great for soups, but is also a vessel for homemade spaghetti sauce and cozy cassoulet. Make sure to get in on the fun and enter below to win!
And in case you haven’t gotten your soup fix yet, here are two more fabulous recipes from my friends!
Roasted Tomato and Green Chile Soup from Melanie Makes
Bloody Mary Soup from Jelly Toast Blog
Asian Chicken Noodles
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 3 small carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced snow peas, plus more for serving
- 1 sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce (or Tamari, for gluten free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces rice noodles
- Lime wedges
- Fresh chopped cilantro, mint, and green onions, for serving
- Combine the chicken broth, chicken, carrots, peas, pepper, sriracha, soy sauce, curry paste, and ginger in the crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours or 8 hours on low. Thirty minutes before ready to serve, add the mushrooms to the pot and continue to cook.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Divide the cooked rice noodles evenly between bowls. Ladle soup on top, then top each serving with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and sprinkle of cilantro, mint, and green onions. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Myrecipes.com
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, a small percentage will come back to support the ongoing costs of this blog. Thank you for supporting NeighborFood!