Posted by https://neighborfoodblog.com/2016/11/sweet-potato-turkey-chili.html
© 2016 NeighborFood. All rights reserved.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
This turkey chili has a great smoky heat and can be made on the stove top or in the crock pot. See the notes for the crock pot instructions!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs Honeysuckle White ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo + 2-3 teaspoons sauce
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can white beans
- 3 stalks kale, stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- Avocado and fresh cilantro for serving
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and the turkey and cook until no pink remains in the meat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper, then add the chipotles in adobo, oregano, salsa, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the white beans and reduce the heat to a consistent simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the kale and cook until wilted. Serve the soup with avocado slices and fresh chopped cilantro.
To make this in the crock pot, saute the olive oil, onions, garlic, and turkey in a skillet until no pink remains. Drain all but a Tablespoon of the fat. Add the mixture to a crock pot, then add the sweet potatoes, bell peppers, oregano, chipotle peppers, tomatillo salsa, broth, and beans. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8. Add the kale during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Loading nutrition data...