Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
These soft and chewy Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips are packing a peanut butter triple-threat! Perfect for Fall or Halloween; This is your new favorite peanut butter cookie.
I love chocolate, but every time it shows up in a cookie, candy, or dessert recipe, it sorta steals the spotlight.
I’ll prove it. What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “Reese’s?” It’s probably the chocolate covered peanut butter cups, right? (or maybe you thought of those perfect chocolate Easter eggs, or Christmas trees? Leave a comment below…)
First and Foremost, They’re Peanut Butter Cookies (with chocolate chips)
These Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies with chocolate chips are a recipe that gives peanut butter a chance to step into the leading role. Sure, chocolate is here also, but only as a supporting member of the cast. (Sort of like, “chocolate chips included” should be in the fine print)
The peanut butter elements of this recipe outnumber the chocolate 3-to-1, so make no mistake, these are primarily Peanut Butter Cookies. If you prefer a more balanced Peanut Butter to Chocolate ratio, try these no bake peanut butter bars or my peanut butter chocolate thumbprint cookies.
Cookies with Reese’s Pieces
Unlike most “Reese’s” branded recipes, we’re baking up our cookies with Reese’s Pieces here; NOT the peanut butter cups.
In my opinion, Reese’s Pieces are undeniably the BEST candy. Period. (Fight me M&Ms. Though, if you’re into M&M’s in cookies, check out these Monster Cookie Bars.)
Reese’s Pieces have a retro-70’s color scheme, and they were E.T.’s snack of choice, so if they’re the favorite Earth-snack of a highly intelligent interplanetary visitor, you should probably consider that a ringing endorsement.
…and it’s not just the Reese’s Pieces bringing the PB goodness to these Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.
Triple the Peanut Butter!
- This recipe starts with a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie base, so creamy peanut butter is already mixed into the dough.
- Then we raise the stakes by adding peanut butter chips (these get all melty when you eat the cookies warm).
- And finally we pack as much peanut butter power into these cookies as possible with the Reese’s Pieces. (These also get a little melty, but the candy shell adds color and a delightful little crunch).
*and oh yeah there’s a few chocolate chips too. yay. participation trophy.
Look, if it is chocolate you’re after, check out these Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. Same philosophy as these triple peanut butter cookies, but for folks who want chocolate, and like their cookies soft and gooey in the center. Best chocolate chip cookies I’ve had. No joke. but back to the Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter cookies.
What is the Texture of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips?
These cookies are soft and chewy, with a smooth crumbly texture. They are perfect for dunking into a cup of milk, and they won’t snap when you sink your teeth into them like a shortbread cookie does.
Peanut butter is a hearty ingredient that thickens the dough so you’ll never get quite the same gooey molten cookie center that you would with bakery-style Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies, though you can try under-baking these slightly if that’s more your preference.
Can I Freeze Cookie Dough?
Yes you can! If you don’t plan to enjoy these Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips immediately, mix up the recipe and scoop the dough balls onto a cookie sheet.
Then you can freeze the pre-portioned cookie dough balls and store them in a freezer bag until you “need” them.
When you’re ready, you just need to pop them in the oven, and you’ve got fresh, warm-from-the-oven peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips.
For more tips on freezing cookies and saving them for later, check out our Ultimate Guide to Freezing Cookies and Bars.
For the Peanut Butter Fanatic
Now that you’re armed with this recipe (see recipe below), you’ve got no excuses for baking boring peanut butter cookies again. These Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies with chocolate chips are perfect pillowy peanut-buttery morsels that come in fun retro fall colors.
They’re exactly the cookies you should bake for your Halloween party, or for the Peanut Butter fanatic in your life. Enjoy!
Reese's Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
These Reese's Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips are soft, chewy, and loaded with peanut butter chips, Reese's pieces, and of course, chocolate chips!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup Reese pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat together butter and peanut butter until light and creamy. Add sugars and beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides as needed. Add milk and vanilla and beat until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Pour in all three chips and beat on slow speed until just combined.
- Drop cookies by the rounded Tablespoonful onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving an inch between them. Press the cookies down to about a 1/4 in thick. If you've got extra chips that fell to the bottom of the bowl, push those into the tops of the cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set on the outsides. These cookies don't really brown. Take them out when they're just getting golden around the edges then allow the middles to set up on the hot baking sheet for a few minutes after you take them out. I always err on the side of under baking so they stay nice and soft. These keep well for several days in an airtight container.
If you are baking the dough from frozen, add an additional 2-3 minutes to the bake time (but still bake at 350° F)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat
Need More Great Peanut Butter Recipes?
- Try this 5 minute Amish Peanut Butter. Drizzle it on basically everything.
- Snack on some Puppy Chow. It’s chocolate, peanut butter, Chex, and candy. Nuff said.
- If you like Oatmeal Creme Pies, try the Peanut Butter and Banana version.
- Inspired by the PB&J sandwich, these Thumbprint Cookies with Jam are a hit!
- Get a slice of this dreamy No bake Peanut Meringue Butter Pie.
oh my gosh. chocolate and peanut butter are the best combination ever and these cookies look so delicious! reeses pieces. yummy!
Thanks Aimee. Reeses pieces is where it’s at!
I can’t resist chocolate peanut butter anything. These look delighful!