Creamy, Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
Today we’re talking good ideas, really bad ideas, and a Spicy Sweet Potato Soup that’ll punch this cold winter weather in the face! Seriously, guys, this may be my new favorite soup. This gluten free and vegan Sweet Potato Soup features coconut milk, Sriracha, and warm spices, and is made in just 30 minutes!
Some ideas are doomed to either be really, really good or really, really bad.
Examples of bad ideas:
- Flesh toned leggings.
- Drying jeans on high heat.
- Not scraping the ice off your car before driving it.
- Hitting “reply all” (usually).
- Staying up until 3 AM on a Tuesday night binge watching old episodes of The Office.
Examples of good ideas:
- Eating ice cream, no matter the weather.
- Wearing pants in public.
- Tater tots as burger buns.
- Post Its.
- Huddling up on the couch with three blankets, bootie socks, a bowl of steaming, creamy soup, and a thermostat set a tad too high.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup: A Very Good Idea
When I first thought about a spicy Sriracha sweet potato soup, I honestly wasn’t sure whether it would land in the good idea camp or the bad idea camp.
I couldn’t get it out of my mind, so I finally just decided to go for it. Lucky for me (and you), it flew right past the good idea camp straight into the surprise-your-socks-off excellent camp.
I don’t often make pureed soups, but after trying this one, I know more of them are in my future. The texture of this is similar to a creamy tomato bisque, like this Fresh Tomato Soup. It’s thick and hearty, but with a smooth richness that comes from a swirl of coconut milk at the end.
The flavor is Asian inspired with a mix of ginger, chili pepper, and Chinese Five Spice complimenting the mild sweetness of the sweet potatoes. A finishing swirl of Sriracha adds just the right amount of heat to warm you from the inside out.
How to Make Creamy Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
- Start by peeling and chopping 3 large sweet potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Chop a yellow bell pepper and 3 green onions into bite sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot (a Dutch Oven works great for this!). Saute the bell pepper until mostly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the green onion and saute an additional minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chili paste, ginger, broth, and Chinese Five Spice. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and cook until sweet potatoes are softened, 7-10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor or use an immersion blender to puree it until smooth.
- NOTE: a blender should only be filled half full of hot liquid. To prevent steam from building up and causing an explosion, remove the small, inner cap, and hold a folded towel over top instead. Or, just buy an immersion blender. It’s 100% worth it, and can also be used for Crock Pot Applesauce, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, and Easy Vegan Lentil Soup.
- Return the soup to the pot (if you moved it), and stir in coconut milk. Serve with a swirl of Sriracha and chopped cilantro for garnish.
What to Serve with this Spicy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
It might not be traditional, but I think the best pairing for this creamy soup is an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese. The texture is perfect for dunking, and the heat of the spicy sweet potato soup really elevates the traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup combo.
Seriously, this stuff will knock the teeth right out of the polar vortex’s mouth. The flavors are so warm and comforting, you’ll be craving them long after your bowl is gone.
If you’re looking for something lighter, pair Sweet Potato Soup with That Good Salad, Columbia’s famous 1905 Salad, or this Kale Salad with Avocado, Cranberries, and Goat Cheese.
I was nervous to share this with the Mr. since he usually wrinkles his nose at the word “vegetarian,” but he shocked me and the rest of the world by scarfing down an entire bowl and commenting on multiple occasions how much he enjoyed this soup. I’m calling this one a huge winter win!
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
This Spicy Sweet Potato Soup is rich and creamy, with warm spices and a pleasant heat. It's also gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian friendly!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3 green onions, including white part, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste (I used Gourmet Garden's) or 1 red chili, chopped and seeded if you'd like less heat
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 6 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth (I love Better Than Bouillon's broth)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 5 ounce can coconut milk
- Sriracha, cilantro, and lime for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and saute until softened and browned a bit on the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the green onion and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chili paste, ginger, Chinese Five Spice, and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and cook until sweet potatoes are softened, 7-10 minutes. Taste the soup and add salt as needed.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor or use an immersion blender to puree it until smooth. Blenders should only be filled half full to avoid a steam-splosion. Return soup to pot and stir in coconut milk.
- Serve in a bowl with a swirl of sriracha and chopped cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 1183mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 28g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.
So very creamy and wonderful! And the photo is simply mouthwatering!
That soup look beautiful, and delicious! I actually made a similar one recently, so good.
Thanks Deryn! I was actually surprised how much I loved the taste. The sweet potatoes with the spice are just perfect!
This soup looks amazing Courtney!! Thanks again for allowing me to feature you!! It’s been fun! Making your cranberry & pear filling today!!
Thank YOU Tammi! I hope the filling turned out wonderful!
Love the color of this soup and also love any soup that can be whipped up in 30 minutes!