If you mention the word vegan in my house you’ll likely either get an eye-roll, a groan, or a grimace from my better half.
It’s not that the Mr. is picky about food. He’s a faithful, willing, and honest taste-tester of pretty much anything that comes out of our kitchen.
He just really enjoys meat. Like, really enjoys it.
To him, vegan food is a gimmick–a gimmick which foolishly betrays his beloved meat.
But here’s the thing. There’s nothing particularly special about vegan food. It’s the same foods we enjoy every day–fresh, whole vegetables, beans, and grains–just with the absence of that tricky little thing called meat.
And yes, of course you can mess up vegan food–ummm, we’ve all had gray, limp broccoli, haven’t we?
But you can just as easily screw up a meat filled dish. I’ve had my fair share of burnt bacon and chicken drier than the sands of the Sahara.
For me and my kitchen, the test of a truly good dish is not whether it’s vegan, gluten free, healthy, or filled with cholesterol-rising meats. It’s whether or not it tastes good.
And friends? This soup tastes good.
To the surprise of my carnivorous husband, veggies and legumes really can stand on their own in a delicious and unexpectedly hearty way.
In fact, had I not mentioned this was vegan and gluten free, I doubt he would have known the difference. (And we could have avoided that whole groaning business).
This soup takes about 10 minutes to throw together, then you just have to wait and let the heat do it’s magic. In an hour you’ll have a thick, creamy and slightly sweet soup that tastes surprisingly like your favorite manly meat-filled chili.
So dig that half bag of lentils out of the back of your cupboard (c’mon, I know I’m not the only one who leaves half bags of lentils hanging out in dark corners of the pantry), and give your tummy a satisfying dish that’s a as good for your body as it is for your taste buds.
This dish is part of the Skinny #SundaySupper. Let’s face it, after all those Valentine’s Day treats (ummm, double chocolate waffles?), we could all use a little skinny. Check out all the contributions below the recipe, and get your skinny on with us!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz. lentils
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven. Add celery, onion, and carrots and cook over medium heat until they start to sizzle, about 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, salt, lentils, veggie broth, cumin, paprika, coriander, and black pepper. Increase heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, or until lentils have softened.
- Place 2 cups of the soup in a blender and pulse until smooth. Return mixture to the remaining soup and stir. Serve immediately with chopped fresh parsley and fresh bread or crackers.
Recipe inspired by Simply Scratch
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog