This satisfying and easy vegan lentil soup will be a hit with meat eaters and vegetarians alike!
If you mention the word vegan in my house you’ll likely either get an eye-roll, a groan, or a grimace from my better half.
It’s not that the Mr. is picky about food. He’s a faithful, willing, and honest taste-tester of pretty much anything that comes out of our kitchen.
He just really enjoys meat. Like, really enjoys it.
To him, vegan food is a gimmick–a gimmick which foolishly betrays his beloved meat.
But here’s the thing. There’s nothing particularly special about vegan food. It’s the same foods we enjoy every day–fresh, whole vegetables, beans, and grains–just with the absence of that tricky little thing called meat.
And yes, of course you can mess up vegan food–ummm, we’ve all had gray, limp broccoli, haven’t we?
But you can just as easily screw up a meat filled dish. I’ve had my fair share of burnt bacon and chicken drier than the sands of the Sahara.
For me and my kitchen, the test of a truly good dish is not whether it’s vegan, gluten free, healthy, or filled with cholesterol-rising meats. It’s whether or not it tastes good.
And friends? This soup tastes good.
To the surprise of my carnivorous husband, veggies and legumes really can stand on their own in a delicious and unexpectedly hearty way.
In fact, had I not mentioned this was vegan and gluten free, I doubt he would have known the difference. (And we could have avoided that whole groaning business).
This soup takes about 10 minutes to throw together, then you just have to wait and let the heat do it’s magic. In an hour you’ll have a thick, creamy and slightly sweet soup that tastes surprisingly like your favorite manly meat-filled chili.
So dig that half bag of lentils out of the back of your cupboard (c’mon, I know I’m not the only one who leaves half bags of lentils hanging out in dark corners of the pantry), and give your tummy a satisfying dish that’s a as good for your body as it is for your taste buds.
Looking for a vegan dessert to pair this with? Try my Healthy Mixed Berry Crisp!
Vegan Gluten Free Lentil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz. lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven. Add celery, onion, and carrots and cook over medium heat until they start to sizzle, about 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, salt, lentils, veggie broth, cumin, paprika, coriander, and black pepper. Increase heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, or until lentils have softened.
- Place 2 cups of the soup in a blender and pulse until smooth. Return mixture to the remaining soup and stir. Serve immediately with chopped fresh parsley and fresh bread or crackers.
Recipe inspired by Simply Scratch