Creamy Parmesan Leek and Mushroom Pasta is a satisfying meatless meal that comes together in under 30 minutes.

Creamy Parmesan, Leek, and Mushroom Pasta |

Today there was golden sunlight and muddy dog paws and a needle on the thermometer that might have edged past 50. I can see the grass again and the sky is blue and cloudless. The air feels like change, and I couldn’t be more ready.

I don’t know about all of you, but around here this has felt like the long, long, cold, long, snowy, long, freezing, long, gray (did I mention L-O-N-G??) winter. But these sunny days are reminding me that winter will eventually have to give way to spring. It may not happen overnight. It may be slower than I’d like. But one day I’ll be walking through the grass in bare feet, gazing at a flower budding up from the earth, and I’ll realize, we made it. Spring is here. And there will be much rejoicing.

Creamy Parmesan and Leek Pasta. A 30 minute, satisfying, meatless meal!

Until that day comes, I’m surviving on recipes like this Creamy Parmesan Leek and Mushroom Pasta. I like to think of them as “bridge” recipes. They’re still comforting and hearty enough to warm your bones on a cold night, but they have a bit of spring’s lightness as well. Meat feels so necessary in the winter when the wind is blowing and seasonal produce is limited. But as the days get longer and warmer and the produce gets brighter and juicier, I love going meatless, which is exactly what our #SundaySupper team is doing today.

This pasta recipe gets it’s peek of spring from leeks. I’m new to the leek scene, but after trying them in this recipe I know they’re going to be making many more appearances this spring. They have a nice mellow onion flavor that is noticeable, but not overpowering. If you need some guidance for prepping and cleaning the leeks, Natasha’s Kitchen has some great step by step photos.

Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta | #vegetarian #meatless

The heartiness of this pasta comes from a rich Parmesan cream sauce. I can’t resist a simple cream sauce. It’s so luxurious, so velvety, so incredibly satisfying. I’m normally not a huge fan of angel hair pasta, but this sauce is absolutely made for it. It coats the strands so perfectly, you’ll have a hard time not slurping them up.

I made this pasta one night after a long day of work. It was one of those I’d-rather-order-takeout nights, but I pushed through and made this recipe. Luckily, it was a breeze to make and we had this made, devoured, and dishes done by 7 PM. You have to understand, this never happens. I was amazed to look at the clock and realize we had several hours of the night left to watch old episodes of Seinfeld work on the bedroom remodel.

Parmesan, Leek, and Mushroom Pasta |

There you have it…a 30 minutes, no hassle, satisfying meatless meal to get you through these last winter days. The #SundaySupper team has a lot more meatless meal ideas for you below the recipe. Be sure to check them out!

Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
  • 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of button and crimini)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • ½ tsp salt, or to taste
  • ⅛ tsp pepper, or to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Parmesan, for serving (optional)
  • 12 oz angel hair pasta
  1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute for 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until softened, about 6-7 minutes. Sitr in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant- 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  3. Stir in the broth and cream. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and parsley, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Taste. You may want to add a little bit more salt.
  4. Add the cooked pasta to the pot and toss to coat. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan, fresh ground pepper, and parsley to top.

Recipe adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen

Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters

Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles

Tacos & Everything Wrapped

Other Main and Side Dishes

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

• manusmenu March 9, 2014, 6:56 AM

Creamy pasta’s are my favourite! I often cook pasta as it is so quick to make!

• Jennifer Drummond March 9, 2014, 9:58 AM

I am really trying to like mushrooms! I have been testing them out in restaurants and found that they aren’t to bad! I think I would just love it in your pasta dish!! It’s perfect!!

• Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious March 9, 2014, 10:06 AM

Mmmmm…leeks and shrooms!

• Jennifer Miller March 9, 2014, 4:56 PM

Leeks and mushrooms are meant to go together! This looks yummy!

• Bobbi Renee Hass-Burleson March 9, 2014, 6:36 PM

Think looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I almost licked the screen!!

• Cindys Recipes March 9, 2014, 10:27 PM

I could eat this anytime of year!

• Alice Choi March 9, 2014, 11:37 PM

oh my gawd Courtney!!! This pasta dish looks sooooo good! it’s dishes like these that make me think I could go vegetarian. . I love leeks. . you have to try leek and potato soup. . I use leeks all the time now . . and on pizza too. Totally making this ASAP.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 10, 2014, 12:03 AM

What a perfect meatless weeknight dinner. I’m always looking for delicious, easy, quick meatless dinner after a long day!

• Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere March 10, 2014, 5:30 AM

This sounds like the perfect, comforting pasta dish!

• Stacy March 10, 2014, 6:16 AM

Leeks are one of my favorite things, Courtney. I’ve been know to roast them and eat the whole pan myself. 🙂 I love your creamy pasta with Parmesan, leeks and mushrooms! Delicious! I could slurp a great big bowl.

• Joanne (eats well with others) March 10, 2014, 7:32 AM

I will be giddy when spring finally gets here!! and until then, I’ll be giddy about this creamy pasta. YUM.

• Renee Dobbs March 10, 2014, 3:28 PM

I am oh so very ready for spring and I’d be ready to eat a big bowl of this pasta anytime.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons March 10, 2014, 10:47 PM

Muddy dog paws…and belly…and chest…and tail….and booty. We’ve gone through SO many dog-wiping towels in the last few days.

I could totally devour a huge bowl of this pasta. It has almost all of my favorite ingredients. Love the leeks!

• littleredkitchen March 11, 2014, 12:11 PM

Perfect spring meal! I haven’t had angel hair pasta in so long and now I’m craving it! Plus leeks, how I adore them.

• supperforasteal March 11, 2014, 1:38 PM

Oh yummy! This looks so good. I’m adding it to next week’s menu.

• Sarah R March 11, 2014, 2:17 PM

My mom would totally adopt you if you made this… she’d probably even give you my room 😉

• Laura Hunter March 11, 2014, 3:55 PM

Oh my goodness, I already ate dinner and am stuffed at yet I think I could still eat a bowl of this. I am pinning for later.

• Soni March 13, 2014, 11:36 AM

You’ve combined all my favorite flavors into this dish and I’m craving this so bad 🙂 Such a great idea for a meatless meal!

• Tammi March 13, 2014, 2:35 PM

Gosh this looks so good, I miss cooking with leeks I have to try this!

• Webicurean March 15, 2014, 1:00 PM

Now I know what I’m making for dinner tomorrow! This looks so amazing YUM!

• Emily | Jelly Toast March 20, 2014, 8:07 PM

Courtney – this pasta looks fantastic! I, too, have been looking for ‘bridge’ recipes (i love that term) and this pasta is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing! also, your photos are gorgeous!!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 22, 2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks so much Emily! That means a lot, especially since I’m always so inspired by your photos!