Creamy Parmesan Leek and Mushroom Pasta is a satisfying meatless meal that comes together in under 30 minutes.
Today there was golden sunlight and muddy dog paws and a needle on the thermometer that might have edged past 50. I can see the grass again and the sky is blue and cloudless. The air feels like change, and I couldn’t be more ready.
I don’t know about all of you, but around here this has felt like the long, long, cold, long, snowy, long, freezing, long, gray (did I mention L-O-N-G??) winter. But these sunny days are reminding me that winter will eventually have to give way to spring. It may not happen overnight. It may be slower than I’d like. But one day I’ll be walking through the grass in bare feet, gazing at a flower budding up from the earth, and I’ll realize, we made it. Spring is here. And there will be much rejoicing.
Until that day comes, I’m surviving on recipes like this Creamy Parmesan Leek and Mushroom Pasta. I like to think of them as “bridge” recipes. They’re still comforting and hearty enough to warm your bones on a cold night, but they have a bit of spring’s lightness as well. Meat feels so necessary in the winter when the wind is blowing and seasonal produce is limited. But as the days get longer and warmer and the produce gets brighter and juicier, I love going meatless, which is exactly what our #SundaySupper team is doing today.
This pasta recipe gets it’s peek of spring from leeks. I’m new to the leek scene, but after trying them in this recipe I know they’re going to be making many more appearances this spring. They have a nice mellow onion flavor that is noticeable, but not overpowering. If you need some guidance for prepping and cleaning the leeks, Natasha’s Kitchen has some great step by step photos.
The heartiness of this pasta comes from a rich Parmesan cream sauce. I can’t resist a simple cream sauce. It’s so luxurious, so velvety, so incredibly satisfying. I’m normally not a huge fan of angel hair pasta, but this sauce is absolutely made for it. It coats the strands so perfectly, you’ll have a hard time not slurping them up.
I made this pasta one night after a long day of work. It was one of those I’d-rather-order-takeout nights, but I pushed through and made this recipe. Luckily, it was a breeze to make and we had this made, devoured, and dishes done by 7 PM. You have to understand, this never happens. I was amazed to look at the clock and realize we had several hours of the night left to
watch old episodes of Seinfeld work on the bedroom remodel.
There you have it…a 30 minutes, no hassle, satisfying meatless meal to get you through these last winter days. The #SundaySupper team has a lot more meatless meal ideas for you below the recipe. Be sure to check them out!
Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of button and crimini)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Parmesan, for serving (optional)
- 12 oz angel hair pasta
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute for 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until softened, about 6-7 minutes. Sitr in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant- 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth and cream. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and parsley, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Taste. You may want to add a little bit more salt.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pot and toss to coat. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan, fresh ground pepper, and parsley to top.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 755kcal Calories from fat 437|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 49g||75%|
|Saturated Fat 25g||125%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.