Show me someone who loves taking pictures of brown food, and I’ll show you a person who belongs in the looney bin. While this Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables gave me fits behind the camera, my tastebuds gave it rave reviews.
Before I started blogging, I had two categories of food. Food that tastes good and food that doesn’t taste good. Now, I have about 20. There’s colorful food and whimsical food, food that looks good as leftovers, food that looks good on a white plate, food that looks good on a black plate, food that looks good by itself, food that needs fresh herbs to brighten it up. And then there’s my least favorite category of food. Brown food. Also known as, food that looks like a pile of muddy rocks.
Pile o’ muddy rock food is what I bring to you today, but for all of you normal people who could care less what food looks like, and really just want a delish meal you can whip up on a busy weeknight, this Balsamic Chicken Stir Fry-style dish will suit you just fine. While it might not be joining any food modeling agencies any time soon, this dish delivers everything I want in a meal. It’s packed with protein and vegetables, and covered in a tangy sweet balsamic sauce. Plus, it’s made in a single pot in less than 20 minutes.
In this season when cookies and multi-course meals reign supreme, this is a dish you can turn to when you need to reset. Plus, it’s easy enough to make before your kid’s Christmas musical performance or that gift exchange party you’re headed to. I like to serve this with warm pita bread, fried in a teensy bit of olive oil in a hot skillet and sprinkled with garlic salt. It’s just the right sturdiness to scoop up hunks of balsamic chicken, peppers, zucchini, and tomato. However, if pita isn’t your thing, or if you’d like to keep this gluten free, you can serve it over rice or or quinoa.
I hope you’ll excuse this Balsamic Chicken’s lackluster appearance, and store this recipe in your back pocket for a busy weeknight. It’ll be friendly to your waistline and your to do list.
Balsamic Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a zucchini, sliced in rounds then sliced in half
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warmed pita bread to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until each side is golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the red and orange bell pepper to the skillet and cook until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms and cook until softened and starting to brown, another 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomato, the balsamic vinegar, and the garlic stirring everything together to coat. Cook for another 5-8 minutes or until the balsamic vinegar thickens slightly and coats the chicken and vegetables. Season with the oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Serve by itself, over rice, or with grilled pita or naan bread.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 604kcal Calories from fat 315|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 35g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe by NeighborFood
Looking for more Easy One Pot Meal Recipes? Try these!
One Pot Lemon Orzo Shrimp from Damn Delicious
One Pot Paprika Chicken Thighs from Reluctant Entertainer
One Pot Peanut Sesame Noodles and Veggies from Oh My Veggies