Pizza Chicken is the busy weeknight dinner you’ve been waiting for! Who can resist a saucy, cheesy chicken skillet filled with their favorite pizza toppings? Not this family!
This one pan wonder comes together in just 30 minutes and requires almost no clean up, so you can sit back and enjoy an easy dinner win!
The Perfect Dinner for Busy Weeknights
One of the joys of marriage is discovering another family’s favorite foods. While my husband and I both grew up in the Midwest, our families’ cooking styles didn’t overlap much.
My childhood was filled with comfort foods heavily influenced by my Amish ancestry and the Midwestern love of a good casserole. Things like Amish Chicken and Noodles, Tater Tot Casserole, and Company Casserole were staples of my childhood.
Pizza Chicken is a busy mom’s dream dinner. It uses simple ingredients, requires almost no prep work, and comes together in less than 30 minutes. Plus, the kids aren’t likely to argue with anything that has “pizza” in the name.
I tried my hand at this old favorite recently and was not disappointed. This cheesy pepperoni chicken will definitely be back on our menu soon!
Simple Ingredients for Pizza Chicken
One of my favorite things about this recipe is the ingredient list! It’s likely you already have most of these ingredients on hand, either in your pantry or your fridge. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast + Olive Oil for sautéing- For quick and even cooking, I recommend pounding chicken breasts to an even thickness before sautéing. The easiest way to do this is to place the chicken between two sheets of wax paper or saran wrap, then whack it with a meat mallet or rolling pin, starting at the center, until it’s an even thickness throughout.
- Seasonings– Salt + Pepper + Garlic Powder + Oregano adds just the right amount of Italian flair to the chicken.
- Pizza Sauce– Choose your favorite, and be sure to check labels if you need gluten free.
- Cheese– I used thick slices of fresh mozzarella for this (partly because I loved it so much in this Chicken Margherita), but shredded mozzarella will also work great. I also love adding a little shredded Mexican blend (or cheddar) to the top as well. Multiple cheeses is never a bad thing.
- Pepperoni– Is it even pizza chicken if it doesn’t have pepperoni?
How to Make One Pan Pepperoni Chicken
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and coat with oil. Season the chicken then pop it in the skillet. Let it cook, undisturbed, for about 4 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees. Remove the chicken to a plate.
2. With the heat still on medium high, add a splash of water to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Add the jarred sauce to the pan and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and flip to cover with sauce.
3. Top each chicken breast with a few slices of mozzarella and pepperoni and a little shredded Mexican cheese blend, if desired. Cover the pan and allow to melt for 1-2 minutes.
4. As soon as the cheese is starting to melt, remove the pan from heat and place it under the broiler. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Remove, garnish with basil if desired, and serve!
We kept things simple with pepperoni and cheese, but you could add any of your favorite pizza toppings to this dish.
- Favorites like mushrooms, onions, and peppers can be sauteed after the chicken is cooked and before adding the sauce.
- Olives or banana peppers can be tossed on top with the pepperoni right before broiling.
- Don’t like pepperoni? Leave it out, or try ham or salami instead.
What to Serve with Pizza Chicken
- Salad– All this dish really needs is a light garden salad on the side, but if you’re looking for something more elaborate, try The Best Caesar Salad, That Good Salad, or my personal favorite, the 1905 Salad.
- Homemade Garlic Bread– This is a very saucy dish, which means it’s perfect for dipping! Use that bread to swipe up every last bit of the delicious sauce! These Pizza Dough Breadsticks would also be a great option!
- Pasta– Boil some angel hair, spaghetti, or linguine and serve the pepperoni chicken on top.
- Veggies– Try adding some Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, Garlic Green Beans, or Air Fryer Asparagus to round out the meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin (or 1 cup shredded mozzarella)
- 16 pepperonis
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend (optional)
- Basil, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and coat with oil. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic on both sides. Place the chicken in the skillet, and let it cook, undisturbed, for about 4 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- With the heat still on medium high, add a splash of water to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Add the jarred sauce to the pan and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and flip to cover with sauce.
- Top each chicken breast with a few slices of mozzarella and pepperoni and a little shredded Mexican cheese blend, if desired. Cover the pan with a lid or baking sheet, and allow cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes.
- As soon as the cheese is starting to melt, remove the pan from heat and place it under the broiler. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Remove and garnish with fresh basil, if desired. Pizza chicken can be served on its own or over pasta.
Feel free to add your own favorite pizza toppings to this recipe. Saute onions, peppers, or mushrooms in the pan after removing the chicken and before adding the sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 141mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 50g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.