Two classics collide in this Tater Tots meets Tacos mashup.
Let’s talk about kid food. I was a bit of a picky eater as a child, though not as extreme as some. I picked onions out of casseroles, refused to eat peas, and dramatically removed any trace of tomato or pickles from a burger. Somehow, I still managed to grow up and love all of those things. Wellll, except pickles. I thought maybe the pregnancy would cure me of that one, but so far no dice.
Like any person who is not actually a parent, I have all sorts of fanciful ideas about how my future child will happily eat anything I put in front of them. I realize because of this I’ll probably be blessed with some sort of food terrorist who turns his knows up at everything I hold dear. Please, dear sweet child of mine, I pray you love cilantro and shrimp and guacamole and cheese and pad thai. But if all our efforts fail, and you prefer chicken nuggets over chicken piccata, I hope we can at least bond over our mutual love of tater tots.
What child (or sane adult) doesn’t love a good tater tot? They’re crispy, greasy, carby, bite sized goodness. And I’m quickly learning that the tot is good for far more than the after-thought side dish next to the burgers. Tater tots can actually be the star of the show, and that never held more true than with these towering Loaded Taco Tater Tots.
The premise is simple–take everything you love about tacos and pile it on to crispy tots. A once hand-held meal becomes a fork and knife affair. Keep plenty of napkins nearby, because you’re going to need them. These tots are loaded with spicy ground beef, pepper jack cheese, tomato, onion, sour cream, cilantro, and two kinds of salsa. I’ve been on a tomatillo salsa kick lately, and it found it’s way into this recipe right alongside the traditional salsa. Of course, do what makes your tastebuds happy, but I absolutely love the limey, tangy addition the tomatillo salsa gives this dish.
Next time you’re looking for a fast, easy meal that’ll please kids and adults alike, look no further than the taco tot. It’s serious bonding food.
Loaded Taco Tater Tots
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 taco seasoning packet
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack or cheese of your choice
- Chopped tomato
- Diced red onion
- Tomatillo salsa
- Sour Cream
- Bake the tater tots as directed on the package. Add the cheese during the last five minutes of baking time, allowing it to melt and brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef in a skillet until no pink remains. Stir in the taco seasoning until evenly distributed. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the tater tots evenly among the plates. Top with ground beef, tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro. Serve immediately.