Love sweet and salty desserts? You won’t be able to get enough of these soft and chewy Salted Milk Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies!
When I was pregnant, I made a birth plan. It was lovely and detailed and absurdly specific. Among other things, I planned to arrive at the hospital midway through labor, calmly stroll into labor and delivery, and show up with a plate of cookies to share with all the nurses.
Instead, the Mr. ended up rushing me to labor and delivery in a wheelchair while I moaned the whole time (apologies to the unwitting couple who joined us on that elevator ride…yipes!), and I delivered the baby within about an hour of showing up. The cookies, sadly, were left in my suitcase in the car, which was left unlocked, with the door wide open. Did I mention we were a tad rushed?
P.S. Thank you to the kind soul who shut the car door instead of stealing all our stuff.
Oh birth plans, you are hilarious.
Despite the chaos, one thing did go (sort of) according to plan. After the chaos subsided and we were settled in our recovery room with the new babe, the Mr. went back out to the car to fetch these Milk Chocolate Chunk Cherry Cookies to give to our nurses.
These cookies. Whoa, baby! (pun soooo intended!) They are so good. Chewy and soft with a hearty bite from the oats, these beauties are studded with sweet tart dried cherries and milk chocolate then finished with a sprinkling of flaked sea salt. They’re sweet and salty. I simply cannot get enough. The brown sugar and chocolate satisfy a sweet tooth, but it’s the lingering taste of salt that keeps you going back for bite after bite.
Let’s just say if I were the folks who happened upon our wide open car door, I would’ve left the suitcase with my laptop in it behind and made off with these cookies instead. They are that good. One nurse stopped by our room to tell us they were the best cookies she’d ever had! So don’t just plan to make these cookies, really go make them! Like, now. Because goodness knows, things don’t often go according to plan.
Salted Milk Chocolate Chunk Cherry Cookies
- 2 sticks (16 Tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chunks (about 3 chocolate bars broken into pieces)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Flake sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder, soda, salt and beat on low speed until well combined. Stir in the milk chocolate chunks and cherries. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours or overnight. If you're in a hurry, you can scoop the dough onto baking sheets and freeze for 15 minutes.
- To bake, drop heaping Tablespoons of dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden and mostly set. Allow the cookies to set up completely on the cookie sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with flakes of sea salt and store in an airtight container.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 222kcal Calories from fat 96|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|