These Crispy Roasted Potato Skins are exactly what you need to munch on while you prepare the big Thanksgiving feast!
Let’s talk about the Thanksgiving hangries. It seems like an oxymoron, doesn’t it? I mean, how could anyone possibly be hungry on a day that revolves around a gigantic feast?
But the Thanksgiving hangries are a real thing, and I suffer from them almost every year. They always set in during that critical time between everyone showing up at my parent’s house and actually sitting down to eat. In my family, everyone strolls in mid-afternoon loaded down with their Thanksgiving goodies. The house smells torturously good. The table is set, but the turkey still needs to be carved, the gravy whisked, the casseroles warmed up. And that final hour, when you’re surrounded by the sights and smells of the feast to come, is prime time for the hangries to sneak up and surprise you.
This year, I’m taking a proactive approach with these Crispy Roasted Potato Skins. This recipe is so simple and so obvious it makes me furious I never thought of it before. I have The Kitchn to thank for this recipe that will forever change my potato making. For years, years I tell you, I have thrown potato peels away, but no longer! Now, I take those forgotten peels, toss them with some salt and olive oil, and bake them until they’re irresistibly crispy crunchy snacks.
Guys, I was actually shocked at how good these are. They’re like a super crisp french fry, and when they’re covered with cheese and chives? HOLY MOLY. We munched on these all afternoon, finding any excuse possible to make another trip past the tray in the kitchen.
So when you’ve made your mashed potatoes and you’re waiting on that darn turkey to oh my goodness be done already!, make up a batch of these Roasted Potato Skins to munch on. I promise you’ll never throw another potato peel away again.
Crispy Roasted Potato Skins
- Potato skins from 3-5 lbs. potatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Smoked paprika
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make sure the potato skins are dry then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping the skins halfway through. I like mine extra crispy so sometimes I do them a tad longer.
- Taste the goodness. Add more salt if needed, then cover them in cheese and chives. If you'd like pop them back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Enjoy your perfect snack!