Biscuits form the fluffy, buttery crust of this Bubble Up Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole. It’s perfect for Christmas morning!
The other day I asked the Mr. what would be in his dream breakfast casserole. (These are the kinds of conversations a food blogger and her husband have after the baby is in bed.) He considered it for a few minutes then decided on mushrooms, onions, cheese, green chiles and bacon. I agreed with most of his choices, but quickly talked him out of the bacon. Don’t get me wrong, I loooove bacon, but it tends to get soggy in a breakfast casserole. After realizing the error of his ways, he decided to swap the bacon for prosciutto. I agreed it was an excellent choice but a little pricey for a breakfast casserole. I know, I know, it’s his dream casserole, but couldn’t his dream be a little more budget friendly?
In the end, he settled on ham, and I set out to make his dream casserole a reality. Turns out, my husband is a very smart man. This casserole is wonderful. I took my husband’s favorites and made them into a bubble up casserole, which uses canned biscuits to create a buttery, flaky base that puffs up when it bakes. On top of the biscuits go all my husband’s favorites–the onions, mushrooms, green chiles, and smoky black forest ham. The whole thing is covered in eggs and cheese and baked until browned and bubbly. The result is a casserole that tastes just like your favorite breakfast biscuit sandwich.
I love this casserole for so many reasons. It’s simple to throw together and easy to tailor to your own breakfast dreams, whether they include sausage and spinach or extra hot sauce and pepper jack cheese. Egg casseroles also make the perfect dish for Christmas mornings. They feed a crowd and can be made ahead of time so you can sleep in on the big day. Plus, the eggs provide plenty of vitamins, minerals, and protein to keep you full and energized for a morning of frenzied present unwrapping.
I know many of you will be enjoying eggs for brunch this holiday, and there’s a great possibility those eggs come from Ohio. My home state is the second largest egg producing state in the nation, producing more than 8.7 billion eggs each. For more information on egg production, nutrition, and other amazing holiday breakfast ideas, visit www.OhioEggs.com and follow the Ohio Poultry Association on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Bubble Up Ham and Cheese Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 4 oz. cans diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh black pepper
- Splash hot sauce (or let everyone add it to taste to the finished casserole)
- 1 (8 count) refrigerated biscuit dough
- 3/4 lb thick sliced black forest ham, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups Colby Jack or Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chiles, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Cut the refrigerated biscuits into eights and layer them in a single layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Spread the ham, onion, mushrooms, and green pepper evenly over top. Pour the egg mixture over all. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until top is browned and biscuits are cooked through.
This recipe was developed in partnership with the wonderful people at Ohio Poultry Association. As always, all opinions are my own.