This Crock Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken and Veggies is easy to make, healthy, and provides everything you need for dinner in a single pot. Made with simple ingredients and loved by kids and adults alike, this slow cooker lemon garlic chicken will be a new staple in your dinner rotation!
It always amazes me when I hear people say they “forgot to eat” on a particularly busy day. This concept is completely foreign to me. I have had busy days. I’ve had days where I’ve had to push back a meal or skip it in favor of scarfing a granola bar down in the car. But I honestly can’t remember a single time where I’ve just “forgotten” to eat. When I’m hungry, my body makes it awfully hard to forget. Those loud, angry stomach gurgles aren’t going to wait.
The term “hangry” has enjoyed a lot of success the past few years, at least partially because it’s a feeling so many people identify with. When I’m hungry I often find myself impatient and short tempered.
I can easily snap at my husband or get upset about things that wouldn’t normally bother me. Hangriness isn’t a state that’s good for anyone–me, my family, or anyone unlucky enough to get between me and the sample ladies at Costco.
My Secret Weapon: Slow Cooker Chicken Dinners
The hangries seem to be at their worst around 4:30, that “witching hour” before dinner time when everyone is hungry, tired, and fussy (and no, I’m not just referring to the kids).
That hour could be the most stressful part of the day were it not for my beloved slow cooker. Let me tell you, there is no better feeling than looking at the clock at 4:30 PM and suddenly remembering dinner is ready and waiting for you in the crock pot. Hallelujah.
This lemon garlic crock pot chicken is a family favorite. The chicken is cooked in the slow cooker along with a slew of vegetables, so by the time the pre-dinner whining kicks in, I’ve got a satisfying meal ready to go.
It has a lovely light and lemony herb flavor that’s not too strong for little tastebuds. And for my mom tastebuds? Well, Crock Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken tastes a lot like victory.
How To Make Crock Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
Making lemon chicken in a crock pot requires only a few minutes of prep time and simple ingredients.
- To start, layer quartered potatoes (I prefer red potatoes or Yukon golds), carrots, and onions in the bottom of a slow cooker and season well with salt, pepper, and sliced garlic cloves.
- Place well-seasoned bone in, skin on chicken thighs on top of the potatoes.
- Pour fresh lemon juice over top, followed by several cloves of sliced garlic.
- Sprinkle the chicken with your favorite fresh or dried herbs and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is very tender.
Tips for Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- My favorite cut of chicken to use for this recipe is bone-in, skin on chicken thighs or drumsticks. They are tender, juicy, and nearly fail proof.
- To get that lovely crispy, crackly chicken skin, broil the chicken for a few minutes after it’s done slow cooking.
- Originally, I used a few Tablespoons of olive oil in this recipe, but since then I’ve omitted the oil, and it’s been just fine! The chicken cooks in its own delicious juices.
- This recipe is extremely adaptable. I’ve experimented with a few different combinations of seasonings, so feel free to use what you have on hand. The original recipes uses fresh thyme and rosemary, but I’ve also tried and loved dried parsley, basil, and Italian seasoning.
This recipe can be easily adapted based on the ingredients you have on hand. Feel free to use chicken drumsticks or breasts instead of thighs and use dried herbs (Italian seasoning, parsley, basil, or dried rosemary/thyme) instead of fresh. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: If substituting a boneless, skinless cut of chicken, drizzle the vegetables with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and the chicken with another Tablespoon of olive oil.
Nutrition Information: Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 41g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g
This recipe can be easily adapted based on the ingredients you have on hand. Feel free to use chicken drumsticks or breasts instead of thighs and use dried herbs (Italian seasoning, parsley, basil, or dried rosemary/thyme) instead of fresh.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.